Airline outside

Sam22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to put the airline for my skimmer outside to help with raising ph, I just wanted to know do I need to increase the size of the airline tube going outside? Its approx 3 meters horizontal run needed to get it outside I have a nyos skimmer and the airline tube if about 10mm diameter.
Thanks

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry about increasing the size as much as I'd be thinking about what kind of filter I'm gonna use to keep outside air pollutants from getting sucked in

vessxpress1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fresh air from outside did very little to help my pH. Had to get a CO2 scrubber and recirculate the skimmer air.

OP
OP
S

Sam22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about pulling in fresh air thru a c02 scrubber?

SaltISlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about putting my air pump and air stone outmy window. I did notice after having my window open with an air stone running. After 3-4 days my ph went up to 8.3 or so from 7.8, but honestly everything grows in my tank at 7.8 so im not too worried about it. But the airstone did play a big part as my tank was 7.8 with the window open but no stone.

I have glass tops covering the entire tank so the airstone worked to fix that. But yea..

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s an easy test that you can do to see if pulling in outside air like that might help. You need a small air pump, an air stone and a cup of tank water.

First, take the cup of tank water and use the air pump and air stone to aerate it for about 30 minutes right next to your tank. If the pH rises then your tank could use additional aeration and doesn’t need outside air.

If the pH doesn’t change, then take the cup of tank water and the air pump and airstone outside and allow them to run for another 30 minutes there. If the pH now rises then pulling in outside air may help raise your pH.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get tubing with an inside diameter that your skimmer tube’s outside diameter will fit snug inside to make the stretch.
Depending on your indoor co2 level you may not see a big increase in ph. For noise level alone it’s worth it, imo

OP
OP
S

Sam22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the tank in my living room which is only small with me my partner and a dog so I’m assuming it’s c02 and pulling in fresh air would help

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also think about what happens outside where your line goes. Do you have a bug spray service? Neighbors do any kind of spraying or aerosol?

OP
OP
S

Sam22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No the garden back on to a gravel parking bay so no neighbours do any sort of gardening near by

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Outside air has helped my pH level. Newer construction techniques have made homes pretty air-tight so air gets stagnant when windows are closed.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back