AJ's 210 Gallon Michigan Build thread October 2022

ajjw0828

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for tanking ;) the time to visit my build thread. Set this tank up awhile ago and its just sat doing nothing. Had a pretty nice beginning stages to SPS tank going well a couple years back but work, marriage and a baby put that on the back burner. Wife convinced me to consolidate down to one tank and decided to keep the 210 as I like that size for fish. Going forward my goal is to have a bare bottom mixed reef leaning slightly more to the SPS side of the hobby. I'm going to be starting the Moonshiners method as it seems like a good system after researching it and seeing fellow reefers results. Below are some specs. Also you can check out my old build thread here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/a-j-’s-70-gal-shallow-reef.671497/

Definitely looking to try and automate as much as possible as I have limited time with work and family to devote to this but just can't walk away from this hobby. Love it way too much.

210g Aqueon. 72x24x29. I drilled 1" returns and a Modular marine overflow with 1.5 bulkheads. Love these overflows!

Trigger CR44 sump. Just installed last night and love it so far!

Curve 7 bubble Mangus skimmer, with DIY 5 gallon Skimmate collection cup with apex controlled float valve shut off.

15000 DCP Jeboa return pump for the two 1" returns.

15000 DCP Jeboa pump for running my UV sterilizer, Carbon/ GFO reactor and anything else I may need in the future. Also acts as a backup in case my main return pump fails.

Jebao UV 55 sterilizer. I've had this awhile and works great. Replace the bulb once a year and good as new after a few years.

Apex EL system, with two EB832's, also have backup head unit in case main crashes. Happened to me before.

60" T5 Aquatic life fixture with 6 DIY royal blue COBS. Going to need to re-design the fixture holder as the wall mount option from Aquatic life cant hold the additional LED weight well. Prolly just going to go with L Channel and weld something up.

Going to be running Chaeto with cheap amazon panel LED light once nutrients get higher.

I have 3 MP60's, and three MP 40's along with two gyre 250's. I only have two of the 60's on it now but will install the others shortly. Maybe one gyre in the sump with the chaeto/ to stir up detritus.

Using the Purple box of Instant Ocean salt.

Using an Avast Marine Kalkwater reactor to supplement tank until I need to either put my GEO Calcium reactor online or I have a DOS that I may implement for 2 part, figure that out later. Side note going to try food grade Pickling lime. Bought a five pound back online for like 20 bucks. I've heard the potency can be sub par but I guess we will see.

20 gallon tank with Tunze ATO. I haven't installed this yet but seriously considering trying to plumb this to my 65 gallon Norwesco containers in the next room over so I don't have to worry about ATO. Haven't decided how to safety do this tho.

Other than that, just did the aquascape. Tries supergluing but didn't work worth a dang. Ended drilling and zip tying most of the rock.

Have a few pieces of a war coral, favia, leather and euphylia that survived previous tank that I moved in. Plan is to get rid of these Dinos and the uglies in the coming months and work on stocking fish for the time being. Maybe throw so green slimmer or something like that in.

Par meter is a Apogee SQ-520. Just returned it to have some warranty work done and when it gets back I will check PAR on tank to get a better feel for where I'm at.

Current fish are Blue hippo tang 2" ($125 pet sore), Desjardin Tang 3-4" ($200 pet store), and a mated pair of Lightning Maroon Clowns I've had for a few years since they were super tiny. Going to try and stay up on what I pay for livestock for my own records and figure it doesn't hurt to add for others knowledge.

Anyways Cheers for reading this far and wish me luck!

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best of luck with the new build! Looking forward to seeing pics and updates.

OP
OP
ajjw0828

ajjw0828

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of work yet to come but here are a few pics of tank in its current state. Working on beating out some Dino’s. Haven’t been doing much tho. I don’t know if this will work but I’m just going to let the tank run for awhile and feed the fish. I’m not running my UV sterilizer yet. Just thinking back to my old tanks. They never had Dino’s or horrible ugly phases. They always colored up with coraline quick. So going back to basics. Not even running my skimmer at the moment but may start it up soon. Just want to see what happens with the Dino’s. If they do t go away in the next month I’ll kick on the sterilizer and start dosing nitrates and phosphates. Added two bottles of that purple and pink helix coraline in a bottle to see if it helps. Bought some holders for my vortech, have a few more I need to add to the tank. Just really need to organize all the wires and get it cleaned up. Going to build a cover for the bottom and maybe even one for the top eventually. Just going ti take it slow and not rush anything. Get to it when I get to it sort of tank. May try and send in my first water sample soon for the moonshiner method just to get all my parameters in check.
53C8DB2D-526A-465E-846D-9282D750D5C1.jpeg
5E7EE515-3D4D-4F93-A4C0-A04B266C30F7.jpeg

Attachments

• 145DED63-D6C6-49B9-9A81-4EC9530424A7.jpeg
    145DED63-D6C6-49B9-9A81-4EC9530424A7.jpeg
    130.6 KB · Views: 56

JWsticks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to see you're back!

Defo work on getting PH to 8.3 and NO3/PO4 to detectable thresholds.

Get some chaeto and run the light 24H and dose NO3/PO4. This has helped me tremendously in getting tank stable for SPS and and LPS inflated.

I currently run a 3200K Philip COB @ 1400ma 24Hour and this keeps Ph > 8.2 and dose nutrients to 5 NO3 and 0.10 PO4.

OP
OP
ajjw0828

ajjw0828

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks nothing like thanksgiving day sales to really get me back in, lol. I was actually just reading some threads talking about Chris Meckley and keeping ph at 8.3. Real interesting stuff, so I’ll for sure be doing Kalk. Thats great to know about running the fuge 24/7. I think I will try that and dose to keep nutrients up. Gotta get my nitrates up now to try and beat these Dino’s.

OP
OP
ajjw0828

ajjw0828

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered a KH guardian pro with control to keep my AlK stable I stead of just monitoring! Super excited. This product works great for monitoring can’t wait to have the control aspect as well!

Attachments

• 9F565B84-DDC5-4124-B19D-4FBFE41CAFC9.jpeg
    9F565B84-DDC5-4124-B19D-4FBFE41CAFC9.jpeg
    133.4 KB · Views: 64
  • D59C34CC-FC2A-4BF0-B35B-47C901A5E23B.jpeg
    D59C34CC-FC2A-4BF0-B35B-47C901A5E23B.jpeg
    110.8 KB · Views: 62

JWsticks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered a KH guardian pro with control to keep my AlK stable I stead of just monitoring! Super excited. This product works great for monitoring can’t wait to have the control aspect as well!
KHG is also on my wish list.

Dinos should go away once the tank matures. My tank is about 1 yr old and still have cyano but only grows on the rocks compared to everywhere before tank turned 1.

OP
OP
ajjw0828

ajjw0828

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9B20DB9F-BA90-41A1-B9CB-A2B02CFFD62C.jpeg

Bought a apogee par meter years ago and only used it a few times. Always gave me trouble when connecting. Went to use it a few months ago and it didn’t work. Contacted Apogee and surprisingly it was still under warranty. I believe they offer 4 years. I got an RMA# and shipped it back. With shipping and processing time it took close to two months but they co crated me and said they were shipping me a replacement! Got the refurbished one and it works great! Was able to adjust the dimming in my LED’s to really dial in my PAR. Here’s what I got at 24%. Will prolly adjust down the road but gives me a starting point. These DIY LED’s are very powerful. I’ve sued them to grow SPS on old tank well. Also know a guy that had a couple thousand gallon system SPS dominated that he uses them on and they grow coral amazingly.

OP
OP
ajjw0828

ajjw0828

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost forgot to update Black Friday Deals:
Bought a purple tang, rabbit fish, 4 lyertail anthias, and a Midas blenny from NY aquatic.

Purchased 2 Large nori nibblers from saltwater solutions LLC on Facebook. Can’t wait to try these out for my tangs.

KHG pro, want to eventually use this for my CaRx down the road.

From BRS: new pH probe, DI resin, PE mysis pellets 1/ 2mm. Container of Calanus for the anthiGripper tongs. Chaeto grow to help beat the Dino’s. Clearwater Aquatics V2 200 algae scrubber.

From Captive8 bought 2500g of their CaCO2 after reading about Chris Meckley using it on his tanks.

Bought some V20 marine krill pellets. Read this is good for Moorish idol. Might pick one up tomorrow on cyber Monday.

Now just need to place an order with Moonshine reef, get all the ingredients and extra test I need. Might hold off on this as I don’t need right away.

Hooefully next year can spend more money on corals for the tank instead of gear and fish!

OP
OP
ajjw0828

ajjw0828

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to see you're back!

Defo work on getting PH to 8.3 and NO3/PO4 to detectable thresholds.

Get some chaeto and run the light 24H and dose NO3/PO4. This has helped me tremendously in getting tank stable for SPS and and LPS inflated.

I currently run a 3200K Philip COB @ 1400ma 24Hour and this keeps Ph > 8.2 and dose nutrients to 5 NO3 and 0.10 PO4.
Meant to ask what you’re using for dosing NO3? Sodium Nitrate? I’ve been using potassium nitrate but need to test my levels as I’m worried potassium might get too high.

OP
OP
ajjw0828

ajjw0828

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hows the tank going?
Thanks for asking! It's doing good. Just a couple of weeks ago beat the dinos. Ended up dosing some chaeto grow, turning on the UV sterilizer and dosing Nitrates as I couldn't get them to be detectable. Skimmer still off. Starting to get some decent coralline growth, think that Purple coralline in a bottle helped. I'm starting to get a little hair algae, so trying to decide if I'm going to just get a big clean up crew or get the Clearwater aquatics scrubber going. Who knows maybe both. The corals that survived are doing good. Going to send out a ICP test this week to start the moonshiners method. Also started dosing kalk via my stirrer. Running at like 9ish dkh. Little update on my fish from NYAquatics, both Moorish idols I received didn't make it. Kept the second in the sump, and fed everything I could think of. They did give me credit for them so that was nice. They accidentally shipped me 3 anthias and a purple tang versus 4 anthias I ordered. Wasn't great since I already had a purple tang and they have been fighting. Can't catch either tried for hours. Might order one of the TankMatez fish traps to try soon. Two of the Anthias disappeared immediately. Have a screened in top, and never found their bodies. But the one Anthias and the rest of the fish are doing great. Purchased a Lyretail Hogfish from Pruess Pets a a local shop and it's my entire families favorite fish. Cost me $175 which I thought was a little pricey but hands down a beautiful addition and doing great. Of course looking forward to the big Frag swap the beginning of February here in Michigan. Always a good time. Will post pics soon, I know that the part I like the most about build threads and I've been sucking at that lately.

Last edited:

Txoutlaw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow!sounds like you had a lot going on!so how are going to heat your tank off the hot water heater?that is interesting.

OP
OP
ajjw0828

ajjw0828

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
046AA93D-C80B-456C-B467-5FB6C49895A6.jpeg
64CBD533-5532-4CC5-8928-AC6E7726AE3A.jpeg
EEEF6E5B-F274-485F-AF5D-A3B47EED945C.jpeg
1F7026D3-30B2-4355-BD53-43F7DDD8686E.jpeg

Have some devils finger leathers, favia and Lepto that survived. Thought the favia was totally gone but coming back in places. My Goni I got from TCK a few years ago is doing great. Was a little closed up cause my clownfish won’t leave it alone. Constantly rubbing against it. Can’t wait to start stocking some corals hopefully soon. Want to get a couple easy test SPS.

Last edited:

JWsticks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meant to ask what you’re using for dosing NO3? Sodium Nitrate? I’ve been using potassium nitrate but need to test my levels as I’m worried potassium might get too high.
I dose urea powder for NO3. Challenging to get potassium nitrate in HK and urea achieves the same result and economical.

Potassium will not rise if you are growing chaeto. In fact, you will most likely have to add. I add 10ppm potassium a week and most of that consumption is from chaeto.

Lastly, I did notice alk increasing when dosing potassium nitrate previously and can read about that in a post by Randy F.

Back