akaimal's 375g CustomAquariums Build

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think bowing would be an issue if you go rimless. I haven’t filled water in my tank yet. But I don’t think I will have an issue with the 3 braces in place.

It’s going to be from the same builder as yours so it has the aluminum brace. Mine will have 2 braces - 6 feet long, 30 high

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
The new tank is on its way from custom aquariums. Its 96" X 30" X 30" . The steel stand is being built by a local company. Orphek Atlantic v4 is also on its way for the lighting.

Tank1.jpg

Quick question: Did Custom Aquarium tell you that their warranty is out the window if somebody else builds the stand?

gobble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks. They're somewhat local to me and I talked with them about taking a drive up and looking at the displays they have. I really like the rimless or clear brace look though. I ordered a reefer 750 xxl yesterday but still thinking I'd like an extra 2 feet but the cost is probably double (or more).

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a couple pictures of a side by side comparison of the non-detailed vs detailed bottom seams.

Looks like they use a ton more silicone on the non-detailed. I’m curious if the non-detailed is a stronger seam because of how much they glob on. Although, it appears they don’t actually scrape or actually touch the non-detailed whereas they have to agitate and scrape the detailed to get it perfect.

Custom Aquariums states that either choice is equally strong/durable.
E0A8F0C5-2CE1-4A41-890C-53A04605E086.jpeg
BF4E448B-BB9A-4673-AF78-6638B3DCB414.jpeg

OP
OP
A

akaimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So upgrading to 3/4 glass for the bottom would be kind of pointless? I see some people do thicker on the bottom panel but if the bottom is being supported by foam, why would you really need thicker?
Sorry missed your message. I had to put the tank work on hold because of tough times.. Did you already order the tank?

I think the 3/4 inch glass is pointless as there is enough support at the bottom I think.

OP
OP
A

akaimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two weeks ago all my corals got electrocuted by a broken water heater :(. I lost a lot of SPS.

So I decided to heat the new tank with hot water from the water heater using a heat exchanger.

Here is the finished setup.
3e7043ace8a53e4704116ebe6f5049fb.jpg

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two weeks ago all my corals got electrocuted by a broken water heater :(. I lost a lot of SPS.

So I decided to heat the new tank with hot water from the water heater using a heat exchanger.

Here is the finished setup.
3e7043ace8a53e4704116ebe6f5049fb.jpg

Oh man! Sorry to hear about what happened.

I’m lucky to live in an area where the temperature in my house rarely even needs a heater and I also don’t need a chiller.

Yeah, they ended up upgrading my back and bottom panels to 3/4 for free because their whole stock of regular clarity 5/8 was scratched. They didn’t want to slow down production so they upgraded me.

I was also going to ask you a question about the foam they require. I am going to have to kind of “slide” my tank into place because it’s an in-wall build with the front and right panels viewable from the front. So it is kind of a “pocket” in the wall with an inch or so above the tank.

Will the foam rip apart if we try to slide the tank over the foam? I’m trying to picture in my head how it’s going to work while keeping the foam from getting destroyed.

OP
OP
A

akaimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man! Sorry to hear about what happened.

I’m lucky to live in an area where the temperature in my house rarely even needs a heater and I also don’t need a chiller.

Yeah, they ended up upgrading my back and bottom panels to 3/4 for free because their whole stock of regular clarity 5/8 was scratched. They didn’t want to slow down production so they upgraded me.

I was also going to ask you a question about the foam they require. I am going to have to kind of “slide” my tank into place because it’s an in-wall build with the front and right panels viewable from the front. So it is kind of a “pocket” in the wall with an inch or so above the tank.

Will the foam rip apart if we try to slide the tank over the foam? I’m trying to picture in my head how it’s going to work while keeping the foam from getting destroyed.

Oh that’s nice that they upgraded it for you!

I form is just like styrofoam. We tried to slide it a bit and it kept shifting position. So we had to lift the tank and put it in place. It didn’t rip.

OP
OP
A

akaimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, I am looking for a mechanism to automate the lifting and lowering of the light fixture. Looking for ideas! Thanks in advance :)
0108252eada245e7594718467d44993d.jpg

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.6%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 168 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back