Alantic blue tang

David Grubb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So ive got a alantic blue tank in a qt tank tight now ( made the new guy mastake of just adding fish to tank and got ich) ive had him for about 1 to 2 months no. He/ she is the life if the tank but ive noticed that over time the top of his head and other places on his body seem to be changeong color. I'll add pics but it almost looks blueish in color but not for certain if it should or if hes sick and if so how to treat
0923192016.jpg
0923192015b.jpg

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought this was an Atlantic blue tang. It's blue, and I took the picture in the Atlantic.
Your fish looks to have a fungus as it doesn't look like HLLE.
If it's bacterial it should be easy to cure.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What meds is it currently on?

Furan 2 is a good antibiotic that can be easily found. If you need an anti-fungal, fluconazole can be found, at least online.

There might be some HLLE too, but that can wait.

OP
OP
D

David Grubb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought this was an Atlantic blue tang. It's blue, and I took the picture in the Atlantic.
Your fish looks to have a fungus as it doesn't look like HLLE.
If it's bacterial it should be easy to cure.
To my understanding its supose to be yellow until it becomes a adult then turns blue, the spots are blue in color so that what makes me think it's something else

OP
OP
D

David Grubb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What meds is it currently on?

Furan 2 is a good antibiotic that can be easily found. If you need an anti-fungal, fluconazole can be found, at least online.

There might be some HLLE too, but that can wait.
No on any meds now, just got done treating for ich, I do have some meds from API for bac t and fungus, should I treat it with it, I think is meliplex and primafix

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To my understanding its supose to be yellow until it becomes a adult then turns blue, the spots are blue in color so that what makes me think it's something else

Maybe, I really don't know.

Bryce M.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow I didn't know they were yellow when they are little swore it was a lemon peel angel! haha!

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, A. coeruleus is yellow as a juvenile....

anyway....melifix and pimafix may help, but it looks like they are just "extracts" of some sort. I would try actual antibiotics and antifungals.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
These are juvenile colors. As for the fish, it seems to have hole-in-the-head disease which is common with tangs especially the Hepatus tang and angelfish. Not a lot is known about what causes it and how to effectively treat it. it is caused by a flagellated parasite that occurs in the gastrointestinal tracts of marine fish and when infested, the fish will lose its' coloration and their appetite. They will act abnormal with their poop becoming white and slimy in appearance and the flesh on the fish’s head becomes pitted giving it the name hole in the head but the overgrowth of these parasites usually occurs in the intestinal tract.
It is recommended to place the fish in a quarantine tank where it can be brought back to health using metronidazole to the water applying recommended dose by the manufacturer. Seachem makes a large line of product containing metronidazole called AquaZole. Also add garlic and vitamins such as selcon to its food.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do saltwater fish get hole in the head? HLLE is infamous in tangs and angels, but that is a different disease.

I have no reason to doubt you...I just haven't seen it before...or maybe I'm seeing it now?

Metro is probably a good idea regardless.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Do saltwater fish get hole in the head? HLLE is infamous in tangs and angels, but that is a different disease.

I have no reason to doubt you...I just haven't seen it before...or maybe I'm seeing it now?

Metro is probably a good idea regardless.
Yes. HLLE is the lateral line issue. Hole in head similar, just a different area of body

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At first I thought it was HLLE but I dismissed that idea because most of the lesions are not in the right place. None of the lesions seem to be on the lateral line which is always the way it progresses. HLLE is not a disease but a condition that comes from confinement although there are many theories. All we know is that it only happens on captive fish. I have my own theory of what causes it but that fish although may have the beginnings of it, I think also has another problem.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 164 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back