Alaskan 300 Gal build

AKReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. Been lurking on here for a while. Finally decided to join the party and share with everyone my 300 gal in wall build.

I'm relatively new to reefing (year and half), but I used to have freshwater tanks growing up and in college. When my wife and I decided to build a new house last year, we decided to take advantage of the opportunity to build an in-wall tank with fish room. We moved into the house about 2 months ago and I'm pretty close to getting the tank running.

The tank is 84" x 30" x 30" from Custom Aquariums that I ordered through my LFS. The tank is sitting on a custom steel stand and I have under it a Synergy Reef SS-48 sump.

I'll now attempt to post a few pics...only my 2nd post so bear with me.

OP
OP
AKReef

AKReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pic of tank room while still under construction. I had the builder double up the floor joists under the tank room. Poured concrete floor under the tank with floor drain. Purple sheet rock on walls and ceiling for moisture/mold control (looks blue because of lighting). Plumbed for utility sink in the corner. 4 separate circuits for electrical needs. 2 CAT6 lines running into the room. Exhaust fan running on humidistat. Looked like a lot of space, but got filled up pretty quick lol

Construction.jpg

Brian W

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. Been lurking on here for a while. Finally decided to join the party and share with everyone my 300 gal in wall build.

I'm relatively new to reefing (year and half), but I used to have freshwater tanks growing up and in college. When my wife and I decided to build a new house last year, we decided to take advantage of the opportunity to build an in-wall tank with fish room. We moved into the house about 2 months ago and I'm pretty close to getting the tank running.

The tank is 84" x 30" x 30" from Custom Aquariums that I ordered through my LFS. The tank is sitting on a custom steel stand and I have under it a Synergy Reef SS-48 sump.

I'll now attempt to post a few pics...only my 2nd post so bear with me.
Nice!!!! Welcome

OP
OP
AKReef

AKReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a pic of the near completed tank room:
Tank Room Empty.jpg

Saltwater mixing station. I had a smaller system to support my current tank, using 2 50 gal drums. This is basically the same design I used, just larger. I had a short stand fabricated for it with a sheet of melamine for the top.

SW Mixing Station.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
AKReef

AKReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While waiting for plumbing fittings and other new tank stuff, I built a mock-up of the tank in the garage to work on my aquascape. Got 220lbs of pukani dry rock from BRS. Some the large pieces are just awesome. I think the largest piece came in around 50lbs!

I used 1/2" pvc and fiberglass driveway markers (I need a bunch for the new driveway any way) to build solid footings and pin it all together. No glue here.

Rock setup.jpg

And this is basically where everything is today. Got live rock soaking in the tank, running a couple of MP40's and a carbon reactor. I haven't finished plumbing the overflow and return since we need to move the sump in order to hang the paneling that's going to cover the front of the tank.

Rock in tank.jpg

Clayton Jessup

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s great cuz I am looking at installing a pair of XR15PRO’s G4 in my Aquaticlife T5 /Hybrid .. for my 75g 4ft tank so that very good to know ;)

OP
OP
AKReef

AKReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s great cuz I am looking at installing a pair of XR15PRO’s G4 in my Aquaticlife T5 /Hybrid .. for my 75g 4ft tank so that very good to know ;)

I did look at the Aquaticlife hybrids. Was thinking that I could get 2 36" versions with 4 XR15's. Not sure if that would be good enough or not for the 30" deep tank. I really like the hybrid look.

Clayton Jessup

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did look at the Aquaticlife hybrids. Was thinking that I could get 2 36" versions with 4 XR15's. Not sure if that would be good enough or not for the 30" deep tank. I really like the hybrid look.

This light has gotten me really excited for my build even more. I think two 36in version over your tank would be a solid set up. That’s great to hear the you recommended the Radion XR15PRO’s. I am thinking if I go Radions I am going to do the G4 ‘s unless I find a good deal on G3’s .

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy wowzers, if that's a word. This is going to be awesome.

ourcoralreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spent most of today working on plumbing.

Here are the return lines connected to the sump.

e1583f928ec45e693d4f08a1265639f8.jpg

My manifold, just need to connect to sump. I’m still debating whether to hard plumb or used barb fittings and tubing.

29849bd80b59beb04895224de8626dd3.jpg

Very nice
Im just thinking maybe you want to add some unions in case you need to do some work down the line

I like soft tube because it eliminates the sharp turns that are in elbows etc

Neat Hard plumbing looks better though

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back