ALERT: Colorado Pet Tax for ALL Animals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reposting from humble, US ARK released an alert for a new bill in the works.

Colorado House Bill 24-1163 enters a new level of big government and big taxes. The bill will add a new tax of up to $8.50 (but actually up to $25) on EACH pet and it includes ALL animals, even invertebrates. The tax is paid every year. It also requires every pet to be registered with the State and assigned a “designated caregiver.” If you do not name a “designated caregiver,” the cost for each pet is $25 annually. There is no cap or per household type of maximum taxation. This will also be in addition to any local taxes (like dog licenses).

To summarize how outrageous that is, if someone has 100 aquarium fish or koi in a water garden, they could be paying $850 annually to have those fish. If you do not register a “designated caregiver” with the State that means having 100 aquarium fish will cost you $2,500 annually! Ten pet reptiles will cost $85 to $250 annually. 20 assorted pets (dog, cat, hamster, parakeet, tarantula, 2 snakes, three frogs, and 10 fish) would be $170 to $500 each year for this new tax. This tax would apply to all “pet animals.” A child with an ant farm (ants are invertebrates)… get ready to pay big for those pet ants, parents!

More info: ALERT: Colorado Pet Tax for ALL Animals | USARK - United States Association of Reptile Keepers

OP
OP
Vested

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope this does not pass and other states start with this nonsense taking away people’s ability to have pets is wrong most people don’t have the extra income
I dont think it will but always spooky when they pop up

nsteinca

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While this particular bill was withdrawn, it’s important to also consider how many bills are introduced every year vs. how many pass. While Colorado has a higher percentage of introduced bills becoming law, it’s very common for members/caucuses/groups to introduce bills that have no chance of becoming law year after year. It’s important to remain vigilante that absurd bills like the one pointed out in this thread don’t become law, but it’s also equally important to not get riled up over long-shot bills (because there are plenty to choose from lol).

Here’s bills introduced in Colorado compared to those passed into law:

IMG_4731.jpeg

For added example, here’s California -

IMG_4732.jpeg

And another, New York (a CRAZY number of bills are introduced each year, with a tiny fraction becoming law):

IMG_4733.jpeg

All that to say, it’s important to pay attention to what bills are being introduced at the local, state, and federal levels, but don’t get the idea that every bill that’s introduced ever becomes law.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Colorado House Bill 24-1163 enters a new level of big government and big taxes. The bill will add a new tax of up to $8.50 (but actually up to $25) on EACH pet and it includes ALL animals, even invertebrates. The tax is paid every year. It also requires every pet to be registered with the State and assigned a “designated caregiver.” If you do not name a “designated caregiver,” the cost for each pet is $25 annually. There is no cap or per household type of maximum taxation. This will also be in addition to any local taxes (like dog licenses).

To summarize how outrageous that is, if someone has 100 aquarium fish or koi in a water garden, they could be paying $850 annually to have those fish. If you do not register a “designated caregiver” with the State that means having 100 aquarium fish will cost you $2,500 annually! Ten pet reptiles will cost $85 to $250 annually. 20 assorted pets (dog, cat, hamster, parakeet, tarantula, 2 snakes, three frogs, and 10 fish) would be $170 to $500 each year for this new tax. This tax would apply to all “pet animals.” A child with an ant farm (ants are invertebrates)… get ready to pay big for those pet ants, parents!

More info: ALERT: Colorado Pet Tax for ALL Animals | USARK - United States Association of Reptile Keepers
Yeah this wont pass, they tried to take tabor refunds last go around of elections and that fell on its face. People who live here will be mad enough at this that theres no way they can pass it hopefully. I hate this state. Its so sad to see how it is now vs when I was growing up :(

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

(And, yes, I'm shouting)
THIS IS NOT A NEW BILL IN THE WORKS! IT WAS AN UNSUCCESSFUL ATTEMPT TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM OF COMPANION ANIMALS BECOMING VICTIMS OF BEING PUT DOWN WHEN THEIR OWNERS BECAME SERIOUSLY ILL OR DIED. EVEN THE BILL'S SPONSOR HAS WITHDRAWN IT AND SAID IT WAS NOT WHAT SHE INTENDED.
(Should she have read it before submitting it? Of course! Does that make her retraction any less real? No. The bill is dead and for all intents and purposes should never have existed)

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Vested

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(And, yes, I'm shouting)
THIS IS NOT A NEW BILL IN THE WORKS! IT WAS AN UNSUCCESSFUL ATTEMPT TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM OF COMPANION ANIMALS BECOMING VICTIMS OF BEING PUT DOWN WHEN THEIR OWNERS BECAME SERIOUSLY ILL OR DIED. EVEN THE BILL'S SPONSOR HAS WITHDRAWN IT AND SAID IT WAS NOT WHAT SHE INTENDED.
(Should she have read it before submitting it? Of course! Does that make her retraction any less real? No. The bill is dead and for all intents and purposes should never have existed)
I just reposted lol not sure what the drama is - thanks for the info :)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Don’t worry, it got shut down because people’s feelings were getting hurt
200.gif

It got shut down because people are breaking the TOS by going way overboard politically. The arguing and bickering is a by product of arguing politics. There are many other platforms better suited to talk politics. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back