tax for owning a pet fish

Status
Not open for further replies.

salty joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some ding dong in Colorado introduced a bill that would tax all pets annually, including fish. HB24-1163. Sure hope it fails. Sure am glad I don't live in Colorado. Invertebrates are on the list, so I imagine they'll be going after coral and clams. Steep fines for non compliance.

DatReefGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that doesn’t sound ideal at all. Gonna be a lot of black market sales. Lol

It might deter some people from fish and aquarium keeping. What’s the thought process? Just a money grab?

DatReefGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t understand some states and their laws. I mean, it’s not like someone is carrying a firearm or running heavy equipment. It’s fish and inverts. So you mean to tell me, when you’re doing your taxes each year, you have to tell them how much livestock? That’s BS.

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t understand some states and their laws. I mean, it’s not like someone is carrying a firearm or running heavy equipment. It’s fish and inverts. So you mean to tell me, when you’re doing your taxes each year, you have to tell them how much livestock? That’s BS.
how much per copepod?

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this passes, they will hate their lives, because most fish and invertebrates do not have long life spans, and also die because of sickness. There's no point. Unfortunately many fish and other stuff like that die every day, so how would they even make sure you're following the law?

DatReefGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how much per copepod?
Lol
If this passes, they will hate their lives, because most fish and invertebrates do not have long life spans, and also die because of sickness. There's no point. Unfortunately many fish and other stuff like that die every day, so how would they even make sure you're following the law?
They really can’t. Unless they legally have the right to come into your house and search. I don’t believe they would be able to.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol

They really can’t. Unless they legally have the right to come into your house and search. I don’t believe they would be able to.
Yeah, so that's why I am not worried about it.

DatReefGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll just claim everything in all my reefs as dependents cha Ching. After all I did adopt them for a hefty price, feed clean and all the resources they need. Lol! I live in NYC. I can smell it coming!
There ya go. Sounds better than paying in.

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll just claim everything in all my reefs as dependents cha Ching. After all I did adopt them for a hefty price, feed clean and all the resources they need. Lol! I live in NYC. I can smell it coming!
What ever you do, don't tell Albany about this!!!

Buckster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regina English-Democrat. I agree with you Evil1 as NY and NJ would be next. I forgot to mention CA. The proposal was up to $8.50 per pet and if they were not registered then it would be $25.00. I won't say more as this is not a political site.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, they recently legalized weed and have been smoking it with impunity. Taxing fish and other peoples pets is the kind of thing that tyrants high on power are likely to propose. Problem latelty is that so many of the elected are stoned that no one can help keep these wags on a straight path so they are stumbling and laughing the whole country into an unmentionalble dumpster where a nice country used to be the norm. So embrace the new normal and have hope because soon these rulers will be gone.

DatReefGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, they recently legalized weed and have been smoking it with impunity. Taxing fish and other peoples pets is the kind of thing that tyrants high on power are likely to propose. Problem latelty is that so many of the elected are stoned that no one can help keep these wags on a straight path so they are stumbling and laughing the whole country into an unmentionalble dumpster where a nice country used to be the norm. So embrace the new normal and have hope because soon these rulers will be gone.
Well said my friend! I expected this from Ma but not Colorado. Ma taxes you if you go to the bathroom. Lol

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regina English-Democrat. I agree with you Evil1 as NY and NJ would be next. I forgot to mention CA. The proposal was up to $8.50 per pet and if they were not registered then it would be $25.00. I won't say more as this is not a political site.
The Cat and Dog people will vote for it, and then the government will have a precedent to go after Fido each year for a dog tag, a "Pick-up" tax that everyone must pay because some dog owners can't be bothered, and the fees go on!

Then they will tax each fish, cow, sheep, etc that you eat for each meal, and bam you are a vegetarian because with all the taxes you can't afford a pet unless you plan to bbq the dog/cat on July 4th. Or Cinco de Mayo, since I agree this is not a political site, but we are discussing a potential political fight. I agree lets not make this thread like Halides V LED's. Stay focused on the problem and solution, not the posters> Shalom!

Otherwise the MODS will bust up our thread.. :smiling-face-with-sunglasses:

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clearly the author has no idea what they wrote. This Bill is chock full of ain't gonna happen. Not with regard to aquatic life anyway.

Page 6, Line 22 - Fee imposed isn't going to provide a service that benefits reef keepers.
Page 7, Line 25 - Pet name, owner, breed, age, caregiver & is it dangerous? Nobody knows their tank inhabitants age, and not everyone names them.
Page 8, Line 19 - Can you imagine first responders tracking down a shelter to take care of your fish and/or inverts?
Page 8, Line 23 - And if by some miracle they do, can you imagine the shelter taking custody of & responsibility for everything in your tank until you are otherwise able to?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Some ding dong in Colorado introduced a bill that would tax all pets annually, including fish. HB24-1163. Sure hope it fails. Sure am glad I don't live in Colorado. Invertebrates are on the list, so I imagine they'll be going after coral and clams. Steep fines for non compliance.
I dont see that going far at all. . . . heck - Prove I have fish or a snail

Status
Not open for further replies.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back