Alex Jr? Apex classic?

Arom0024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I am looking into purchasing a kalk stirrer, but I don't want to install without a phone monitir and controler. Will the Apex Jr or classic monitor the pH and if it gets to high shut off my ato feeding my kalkstirer? I understand the Jr I need to purchase the pH probe but the price is eight. But I'm open for suggestions here. Thanks guys.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I am looking into purchasing a kalk stirrer, but I don't want to install without a phone monitir and controler. Will the Apex Jr or classic monitor the pH and if it gets to high shut off my ato feeding my kalkstirer? I understand the Jr I need to purchase the pH probe but the price is eight. But I'm open for suggestions here. Thanks guys.
I have the Jr on my 40g and it’s working for me. I added an EB8 bar. You have to add the ph monitor but I’m sure you can program it to control the kalk. The Fusion (phone/computer app is super. You can have up to 7 modules. The Apex classic allows for much more. I bought the Jr last year for the price and also because my setup will be pretty simple. Most people will say buy the Classic if you can swing it because you spend as much adding modules later. My setup will be an LPS tank (eventually). The equipment I run/plan to run are a return pump, skimmer, ato, two dosers, two powerheads, lights (2 outlets), FFM module with leak detectors, and an algae reactor (2 plugs, one for the lights and one for the pump. That’s 11 plugs total. Remember that the display counts as a module. If you don’t want a ton of modules you could swing it. Hope this helps!

OP
OP
A

Arom0024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Jr on my 40g and it’s working for me. I added an EB8 bar. You have to add the ph monitor but I’m sure you can program it to control the kalk. The Fusion (phone/computer app is super. You can have up to 7 modules. The Apex classic allows for much more. I bought the Jr last year for the price and also because my setup will be pretty simple. Most people will say buy the Classic if you can swing it because you spend as much adding modules later. My setup will be an LPS tank (eventually). The equipment I run/plan to run are a return pump, skimmer, ato, two dosers, two powerheads, lights (2 outlets), FFM module with leak detectors, and an algae reactor (2 plugs, one for the lights and one for the pump. That’s 11 plugs total. Remember that the display counts as a module. If you don’t want a ton of modules you could swing it. Hope this helps!
So if the pH gets to high the outlet for the ato would go dead and not power on untill the pH drops?

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the Apex Jr will work, you will need a pm1 module and ph probe. It will have 4 controllable outlets and the ato pump will need to be plugged into 1. Also you will need to be able to connect it to the internet with either direct plug in or WiFi adapter if you want to monitor it remotely. I would recommend the classic if you plan on adding a lot if not the apex jr is great.

OP
OP
A

Arom0024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the Apex Jr will work, you will need a pm1 module and ph probe. It will have 4 controllable outlets and the ato pump will need to be plugged into 1. Also you will need to be able to connect it to the internet with either direct plug in or WiFi adapter if you want to monitor it remotely. I would recommend the classic if you plan on adding a lot if not the apex jr is great.
Awesome thanks allot

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if the pH gets to high the outlet for the ato would go dead and not power on untill the pH drops?
Yes that’s exactly what will happen. This is my kalk program

681C161C-5660-4EB3-AC09-3FD5FB6BBBCE.png

OP
OP
A

Arom0024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at the pm1 module but I don't see and outlets?? Sorry I'm new to Apex

OP
OP
A

Arom0024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pm1 will be for the ph probe and it will connect to the apex jr. The apex jr has 4 outlets built into it.
And just one of those outlet will control my ato depending on what I program the ph1 to shut off at?

tiggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another option is a preowned Apex Classic. For the price of an Apex Jr, PM1 module, and ph probe, you can definitely get a full Apex Classic that'll have ph built-in and come with a ph probe, in addition to additional ports and possibly some extras. I got an Apex Gold package for $400 shipped with a few extras, but I've even seen those drop into the $350 range lately and you get pretty much everything with the Gold package.

OP
OP
A

Arom0024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another option is a preowned Apex Classic. For the price of an Apex Jr, PM1 module, and ph probe, you can definitely get a full Apex Classic that'll have ph built-in and come with a ph probe, in addition to additional ports and possibly some extras. I got an Apex Gold package for $400 shipped with a few extras, but I've even seen those drop into the $350 range lately and you get pretty much everything with the Gold package.
Awesome I'll keep my eyes open

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And just one of those outlet will control my ato depending on what I program the ph1 to shut off at?
Yeap if you only have 1 pump running that ato. Keep in mind you can only plug in 4 total devices in outlets so if you need more then you must add on and can only add 7 modules. The display is 1, pm 1 will be your second module. If you add additional outlets beyond the 4 that’s a module, If you add the feeder that’s another module, if you want to dim lights that’s another module. The apex classic allows 240 modules and has the dimming and ph built in and usually comes with 8 outlets. Also can be found at good prices on this site used.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The kalk is in the ato right? If so, yes. But you’d want to watch salinity in that case.

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The kalk is in the ato right? If so, yes. But you’d want to watch salinity in that case.
Good point about salinity, I ended up putting my kalk on a separate system so it wasn’t dependent on evaporation. When mine was part of my ato I never had any issues but depending on if it was summer or winter I got different amounts dosed each day.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point about salinity, I ended up putting my kalk on a separate system so it wasn’t dependent on evaporation. When mine was part of my ato I never had any issues but depending on if it was summer or winter I got different amounts dosed each day.
Ok, so if you program the kalk doser to turn off if the ph gets too high, you’re good. I tried using kalk once in my ato and it didn’t work.

vhuang168

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The newly released Apex EL is $500. Includes a pH port/probe and the EB832. AND, it will be compatible with the Trident!

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The newly released Apex EL is $500. Includes a pH port/probe and the EB832. AND, it will be compatible with the Trident!
I just saw this! It’s missing a few probes but is a great deal.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back