Algae alternatives to cheato

Tft12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used Red Gracilaria on two separate systems in the past. Both times, it grew great for a few months and then crashed. I'm pretty sure that each time it was due to a nutrient deficiency after having burned through the tank's supply of whatever ran out. I'm going to try again in a few weeks and when it crashes I'll send out an ICP to see what I'm deficient in. I'll also make sure to stay on top of nitrate and phosphate testing and dose if needed.

If you use the Gracilaria, one nice thing is fish tend to love to eat it.

OP
OP
chrisgold

chrisgold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used Red Gracilaria on two separate systems in the past. Both times, it grew great for a few months and then crashed. I'm pretty sure that each time it was due to a nutrient deficiency after having burned through the tank's supply of whatever ran out. I'm going to try again in a few weeks and when it crashes I'll send out an ICP to see what I'm deficient in. I'll also make sure to stay on top of nitrate and phosphate testing and dose if needed.

If you use the Gracilaria, one nice thing is fish tend to love to eat it.
Thanks I’ll give it a try was sick of cheato gettin into my display nobody wants to eat that

Siberwulf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So an update here...I got some Red Ogo in my sump and frankly, it came just as blown up as Chaeto did. I'm gonna try to remove the smaller pieces of it and just stick with the big ones, but there's not a ton in there. :/

Siberwulf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So an update here...I got some Red Ogo in my sump and frankly, it came just as blown up as Chaeto did. I'm gonna try to remove the smaller pieces of it and just stick with the big ones, but there's not a ton in there. :/
Point illustrated: Just had to clean out my skimmer because the intake was 100% clogged with ogo... womp womp.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have long since given up trying to grow macro algae, chaeto never stays successful for long then melt, caleurpa I always get paranoid of going sexual.

Now? In my fuge I just put in some egg crates, put mesh on top, put it across the water flow,, and just let hair algae grow out. Every 2 weeks I scrub out a sheet of gha. Basically turned it into a diy scrubber. Very hardy algae. No worry about melting. Just does its job of exporting nutrient.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back