Algae and more algae

wvfeefkeeper80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I’m coming up on a year in June for my first tank and there have been so many ups and downs. The one down I just can’t seem to shake? Algae.

I’ve improved filtration, flow, removed stock, reduced feeding and light exposure (time and intensity). I just can NOT shake the algae. A couple months ago I had a huge bloom, put in some Mexican turbo snails, they cleaned and it was spotless. Now I’ve got brown on the sand, hair over the rocks and covering coral. I’m at a loss and reaching a breaking point.

Levels are sound with one exception, Nitrates seem to hold at 15/20 ppm, even with weekly cleans and 20% water changes. 32.5 Fluval Marine. It’s taking the wind out of my sails. Is this just part of paying my dues?

2 clown
1 goby
1 Royal gamma
1 six pin
1 anemone
1 urchin
CUC

Soft and LPS

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I’m coming up on a year in June for my first tank and there have been so many ups and downs. The one down I just can’t seem to shake? Algae.

I’ve improved filtration, flow, removed stock, reduced feeding and light exposure (time and intensity). I just can NOT shake the algae. A couple months ago I had a huge bloom, put in some Mexican turbo snails, they cleaned and it was spotless. Now I’ve got brown on the sand, hair over the rocks and covering coral. I’m at a loss and reaching a breaking point.

Levels are sound with one exception, Nitrates seem to hold at 15/20 ppm, even with weekly cleans and 20% water changes. 32.5 Fluval Marine. It’s taking the wind out of my sails. Is this just part of paying my dues?

2 clown
1 goby
1 Royal gamma
1 six pin
1 anemone
1 urchin
CUC

Soft and LPS
Algae is tough but usually can be beat. Can you simply increase your CUC? Got a pic?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back