Algae blenny starving

JohnnyTJ09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve mad my algae blenny for a while and whenever I look at him he is Leo fat and healthy. Lately my tank has been doing pretty well and has had no algae and he is so skinny. I’m stunned I caught it this late but he is still alive and forging for food. The thing is he won’t eat the nori, Mysis, fish eggs, or pellets I put in the tank! I need to find something quick that will fill his stomach.
image.jpg

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hikari algae wafers?

rirun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you try soaking nori or pellets in garlic? my tsb will eat pretty much anything i soak in it.

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you try rubber banding seaweed to a rock so that it’s flat? This worked for my yellow tang. It wouldn’t eat from a clip until it ate from the rock.

OP
OP
JohnnyTJ09

JohnnyTJ09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you try rubber banding seaweed to a rock so that it’s flat? This worked for my yellow tang. It wouldn’t eat from a clip until it ate from the rock.
I have. He doesn’t seem to be interested.
He’s tasted it but doesn’t like it

OP
OP
JohnnyTJ09

JohnnyTJ09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hikari algae wafers?

I’m worried it might take too long to ship but I’ll order it if he doesn’t eat the garlic soaked food. I’m also going to try a cucumber and broccoli

AmaleeC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you rubberband the Nori to a rock? It took mine a day or two, but he caught on and eats it like crazy now.

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same thing happen to mine, but he was not starving. It was an internal parasite as far as I can tell. He would eat the food I put into the tank when he was healthy, but he stopped eating all of a sudden. He never recovered despite soaking food in metroplex and other treatments. I suspect yours may have a similar situation going on :(

OP
OP
JohnnyTJ09

JohnnyTJ09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same thing happen to mine, but he was not starving. It was an internal parasite as far as I can tell. He would eat the food I put into the tank when he was healthy, but he stopped eating all of a sudden. He never recovered despite soaking food in metroplex and other treatments. I suspect yours may have a similar situation going on :(
Mine won’t eat anything I put in the tank and had always had a full stomach up until maybe a week ago. Could he have gotten a parasite from the tank. I hadn’t added a fish in months up until yesterday

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine won’t eat anything I put in the tank and had always had a full stomach up until maybe a week ago. Could he have gotten a parasite from the tank. I hadn’t added a fish in months up until yesterday
That's exactly what happened to mine. He would eat well and had a full stomach...then suddenly, he wouldn't touch anything. Not algae wafers or nori or even veggie flakes/pellets. He used to vacuum up all of those things. I also had not added any new fish in months or even a year or more (I don't recall exact timeframe).

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree on above:
nori rubber banded to rock
algae wafers
Hikari Algae blend

Also try Masstick pasted to small rock or empty clam shell.

OP
OP
JohnnyTJ09

JohnnyTJ09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's exactly what happened to mine. He would eat well and had a full stomach...then suddenly, he wouldn't touch anything. Not algae wafers or nori or even veggie flakes/pellets. He used to vacuum up all of those things. I also had not added any new fish in months or even a year or more (I don't recall exact timeframe).
But mine never ate any of those things. It’s only a problem now because there is no algae in the tank for him to graze on. Maybe he does have a parasite though.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back