Algae etc

KDB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting lot of growth in the tank (or maybe this is all good, I honestly don’t know) and would like any idea on how to control it before it gets out of hand. I’ll attach pictures.

I am just starting to add fish back into tank after velvet attack. Note: I do not have a QT and I buy from a shop who quarantines before selling. He doesn’t carry anything like slugs, snails, urchins etc. If I go to another place to buy something to help keep the tank clean, do I have quarantine them? If that is what is recommend to keep things at bay.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is absolutely no rule in regards to QT fish ect.. if from a known and trusted source and they do a copper treatment before selling then its fine.

I've never QT any if my fish and thankfully so far everything is been good. I do buy fish that go through a 2 week observation and if any signs of anything they treat in copper and lower salinty.

However I have a tank that I will setup as an observation tank before I put in my DT for 2 weeks. I dont plan on adding many more fish anyways.

As for your alage issue it looks like green hair alage, search as there are lots of threads on this.. can you remove when doing a waterchange? Manually remove much as you can will help.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I am getting lot of growth in the tank (or maybe this is all good, I honestly don’t know) and would like any idea on how to control it before it gets out of hand. I’ll attach pictures.

I am just starting to add fish back into tank after velvet attack. Note: I do not have a QT and I buy from a shop who quarantines before selling. He doesn’t carry anything like slugs, snails, urchins etc. If I go to another place to buy something to help keep the tank clean, do I have quarantine them? If that is what is recommend to keep things at bay.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
A fish such as comb tooth or twin spot blenny will eat this algae ottherwise add snails such as turbo grazer, astrea, cerith, nerite and even a pin cushion urchin to manage this algae

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 19.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 40 50.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.1%
Back