Quarantine tanks

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quarantine is great to eradicate the possible fish disease but it’s important to note you have to take the proper steps and measures to ensure it’s done correctly, otherwise your wasting your time.
Agreed. This includes having separate nets and syphons, etc., to prevent cross contamination.
Quarantine runs the risk of killing the fish, I’ve lost so many fish to copper power , but with that number I’ve had double amount make it out.
There is no doubt that fish may die in the medicated quarantine tank, which can be stressful for fish. But how can you be sure the fish died from the Copper Power specifically, and wasn't otherwise doomed either way? Copper Power is one of the safer copper medications we have available.

This link has a chart that lists common fishes and if they are susceptible to copper medications:
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/fish-and-treatment-guidelines-with-chart.191/

Consider if going this route that you plan on running a quarantine for EVERY single thing in the future. Clean up crew? Quarantine . Fish? Quarantine. Coral? Quarantine. Live rock? Quarantine. It’s a lot of work , from someone who’s done it multiple times.
Preaching to the choir here! I'm going this route currently, and it is indeed a lot of work, but so far I feel it's worth it, and I'm enjoying it.

Some may argue that a successful quarantine was completed. However once adding a fish susceptible to ich like a blue hippo , powder brown tang, they get ich no matter what. That is something you’ll have to see when you get there.
Some fish are for sure more susceptible to Ich than others, but there are lots of variables to consider. Did these aquarist QT all animals, or just fish? If the answer is just fish, then corals and other inverts can introduce latent fish parasites in the tank. Then you QT your new Tang only to add it to the display, the fish gets stressed by the transfer, and latent parasites in the tank now show themselves. So I don't know if you can conclude that some fish are going to get Ich no matter what, or that quarantining doesn't work for all fish. How you execute a QT protocol has a lot to do with it, I believe. That's why I'm trying my best to QT absolutely everything "wet" I plan on putting in the tank. And yes, that's a pain in the butt for sure!

Just my $0.02.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quarantine runs the risk of killing the fish, I’ve lost so many fish to copper power , but with that number I’ve had double amount make it out.

I would think it more likely that you lost those fish to the disease you were treating, and not copper power.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Goals and $$ size of the investment are factors for me. I have a small tank (25 gallons) with inexpensive livestock. I don't quarantine. I have had ich wipe out all my fish (4 of them), but that was because there was aggression due to my livestock choices. Eliminating aggression if you do not quarantine is critical in my mind.

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think it more likely that you lost those fish to the disease you were treating, and not copper power.
Or to something like internal parasites that Copper Power doesn't treat.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
who knows. I lost fairy wrasses, leopard wrasses, red stripe mimic tang twice, just a lot of nice fish. Maybe to sensitivity.

I opted out for UV sterilizers and it works wonders.

This is a big topic, hopefully the OP can get resources he needs here :)

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
who knows. I lost fairy wrasses, leopard wrasses, red stripe mimic tang twice, just a lot of nice fish. Maybe to sensitivity.

I opted out for UV sterilizers and it works wonders.

This is a big topic, hopefully the OP can get resources he needs here :)
UV is something I have been thinking about.

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 25 watt version mentioned above is more than perfect for my tank and not a whole lot for the peace it gives.
I just beat dinos before they got bad and they are not coming back...
Good to hear, I like peace of mind ;-)

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s up to you if you want to qt. I recommend it but where you get fish from can make a difference. Also places like TSM QT fish before shipping. Totally worth it as the fish are conditioned and any weak fish they take the loss.
Also anything you add to the tank that’s hard risk bringing in unwanted parasites.
I qt all fish and very picky where my coral comes from. Snails too.
Have had 4 20 gallon tanks and a 100 gallon.
IMG_1707.jpeg
IMG_8287.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back