Quarantine tanks

mikebusc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m getting closer and closer to getting my reef up and running. But I have a question about when I first get my stock. Does everyone quarantine their fish before it goes in the tank? Is that like an absolute 100% requirement? No problem if it is but now I just have to look into building a small quarantine tank. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its best to do so, do I always do it... no. Thats a chance I take but I kind of off set that with where I get fish from both my lfs qt fish. They do not qt all fish though. They will qt for you if you ask. So im lucky in those regards as I trust they wont kill the fish while in qt and they will also let me know whats going on with it. But if the fish dies in their care I'm still out the money.

Even if you purchase qt'd fish its still best practice to at the very least set up an observation tank that can double as a hospital/qt tank.

You should also have meds, copper and tester on hand.

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about 6 months ahead of you in terms of tank progression. Opinions vary greatly on the quarantine or not question, and I don't have enough experience for you to listen to.

However, I decided to setup a small 10-gallon QT tank and have tried to make sure everything I put in my display has spent time in there. The fish have mostly gone through the QT protocol pinned on this forum. The exceptions have been an eel and a puffer that couldn't go into copper. They spent a month under observation. I don't regret any of this one bit at this point.

I'm just starting to put coral in my DT, and that is where my QT isolation is probably going to fall apart. I don't really have the space or time to setup a frag tank to isolate coral in until they would be guaranteed safe.

OP
OP
mikebusc

mikebusc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about 6 months ahead of you in terms of tank progression. Opinions vary greatly on the quarantine or not question, and I don't have enough experience for you to listen to.

However, I decided to setup a small 10-gallon QT tank and have tried to make sure everything I put in my display has spent time in there. The fish have mostly gone through the QT protocol pinned on this forum. The exceptions have been an eel and a puffer that couldn't go into copper. They spent a month under observation. I don't regret any of this one bit at this point.

I'm just starting to put coral in my DT, and that is where my QT isolation is probably going to fall apart. I don't really have the space or time to setup a frag tank to isolate coral in until they would be guaranteed safe.
Is a frag tank different than a quarantine tank? In other words could use the same tank for both as long as it wasn’t at the same time? Either or?

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is a frag tank different than a quarantine tank? In other words could use the same tank for both as long as it wasn’t at the same time? Either or?
The problem with that is a fish quarantine tank will require meds that would kill the coral. Additionally a tank to keep coral alive for 2.5 months to make sure ich has died off will require expensive lighting that generally isn't necessary for a fish quarantine.

You could make the same system do double duty if you really wanted to but there would be some change-over costs. to get copper an other meds out of the filtration.

OP
OP
mikebusc

mikebusc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with that is a fish quarantine tank will require meds that would kill the coral. Additionally a tank to keep coral alive for 2.5 months to make sure ich has died off will require expensive lighting that generally isn't necessary for a fish quarantine.

You could make the same system do double duty if you really wanted to but there would be some change-over costs. to get copper an other meds out of the filtration.
OK I understand now. Thanks.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not use the same tank even at different times. There is a chance of still having copper in it if you use it. Really fish qt is a very simple set up heater, filter, some hiding places like fake plants or pcv pipes, dont need a light. Frag "qt" or could be a frag tank needs the lights and frag racks to hold your corals basically all the stuff your reef has besides substrate and rock.

OP
OP
mikebusc

mikebusc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not use the same tank even at different times. There is a chance of still having copper in it if you use it. Really fish qt is a very simple set up heater, filter, some hiding places like fake plants or pcv pipes, dont need a light. Frag "qt" or could be a frag tank needs the lights and frag racks to hold your corals basically all the stuff your reef has besides substrate and rock.
Gotcha. So I'll definitely do a quarantine tank for the fish. But the next question is do I need a frag tank? Is it for the same reasons as a fish quarantine tank to protect my display tank? Is it used to grow out corals? Both? Thanks!

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha. So I'll definitely do a quarantine tank for the fish. But the next question is do I need a frag tank? Is it for the same reasons as a fish quarantine tank to protect my display tank? Is it used to grow out corals? Both? Thanks!
Most people have frag tanks to specifically grow more frags. Some people qt coral some don't

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can QT or you can not QT.

But once you pick a path, its difficult to change. So once you go no QT, always go no QT.

I believe @Paul B goes no QT.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. And another newbie question - why do I need a separate tank to grow more frags? What are the problems with growing them in the display?
Its more about growing out things you frag. Corals will grow a lot of them you need to "prune" and why toss that if you can grow it out and sell it. You dont need to qt coral they make dips for that and just inspect the frags before you get them or before they go in to your tank.

OP
OP
mikebusc

mikebusc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its more about growing out things you frag. Corals will grow a lot of them you need to "prune" and why toss that if you can grow it out and sell it. You dont need to qt coral they make dips for that and just inspect the frags before you get them or before they go in to your tank.
Oh OK. So if I buy a frag it doesn't need to go into a "frag" tank, it can go right in the DT.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a reefer friend that would qt all his fish and corals. He still got aefw, still got ick, found pyramid snails on his clam had bubble algae. So its still possible to bring in unwanted pests even if you are careful.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh OK. So if I buy a frag it doesn't need to go into a "frag" tank, it can go right in the DT.
Yup. Just inspect it and look at the tank its coming from if possible. Does it have bubble algae? How do the other corals look? Anything that looks like you dont want it in your reef? Get a coral dip and some hydrogen peroxide look up how to use those and do it before it goes in your tank.

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re going to get a lot of differing opinions on this subject. I am personally QTing everything “wet” that comes into my tanks - fish, corals, and inverts. I have three 10 gallon QT/observation tanks going, one for fish, one for corals, and one for motile inverts.

All three tanks have an AquaClear 70 HOB with precycled media.

For fish, I’m following the R2R recommended medicated protocol here. I placed this tank more than 10 feet away from any other tanks as some parasites can potentially be transferred from tank to tank by aerosol droplets of tank water in the air.

Corals get dipped and placed into their own observation tank for 76 days. The dipping helps with coral pests, and the 76 day wait helps to starve off any fish parasites the corals may be carrying. This is a bare tank with a frag rack and I’m lighting it with the same Kessil light I have on my display. I also have an ATO on this tank.

All my snails and hermits and what not went into a third tank for the 76 day hold. This tank I did add dry sand and a couple pieces of dry rock, and a ball of chaeto with ‘pods.

Some will say you don’t have to hold all these animals for the full 76 days, but I want to be a cautious as possible. Most would not want to put this much time and effort into this methodology, but I feel like I’m doing the right thing and I’m absolutely loving the process.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do!

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Quarantine is great to eradicate the possible fish disease but it’s important to note you have to take the proper steps and measures to ensure it’s done correctly, otherwise your wasting your time.

Quarantine runs the risk of killing the fish, I’ve lost so many fish to copper power , but with that number I’ve had double amount make it out.

Consider if going this route that you plan on running a quarantine for EVERY single thing in the future. Clean up crew? Quarantine . Fish? Quarantine. Coral? Quarantine. Live rock? Quarantine. It’s a lot of work , from someone who’s done it multiple times.

Some may argue that a successful quarantine was completed. However once adding a fish susceptible to ich like a blue hippo , powder brown tang, they get ich no matter what. That is something you’ll have to see when you get there.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 132 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back