Algae growth prevented by blue lights only?

Smithrz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks,

I am officially cycling, woohoo! My plan was to run the tank without lights for the first few months, in order to try and prevent a lot of algae growth… I was wondering though, could I just run blue light only, at say 10 or 15%? Would that still promote algae growth?

Not a big deal tbh, but it just looks so nice and feels calming in the evening (and I would appreciate that after the stress of trying to get the way levels dialled in, constantly worrying that it’s rising or lowering too much in the overflow lol).

You all probably know that phone camera photos don’t accurately represent what a tank looks like, but the below is how my tank is looking 24 hours into the cycle (blue 15%, white 40%, moon 0% on the Red Sea Reef LED90), looks a lot whiter to my eye in these settings.

IMG_8623.jpeg IMG_8624.jpeg

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why? I went the first 4 months without lights to allow my tank to develop biodiversity and microfauna before I turned lights on for adding coral. Fish don't need light. This made my subsequent ugly phases very manageable.

OP
OP
Smithrz

Smithrz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why? I went the first 4 months without lights to allow my tank to develop biodiversity and microfauna before I turned lights on for adding coral. Fish don't need light. This made my subsequent ugly phases very manageable.
Okay, sure, but we’re all different and the “why” isn’t really relevant, haha.

I’m really just looking for thoughts (or better yet, experiences) on this… I’ve read other posts here, and searched the web and have found every answer imaginable from “blue light can’t grow algae”, “blue lights kinda grows algae”, and “blue light grows algae faster than white”, plus a whole host of other takes, lol.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, sure, but we’re all different and the “why” isn’t really relevant, haha.

I’m really just looking for thoughts (or better yet, experiences) on this… I’ve read other posts here, and searched the web and have found every answer imaginable from “blue light can’t grow algae”, “blue lights kinda grows algae”, and “blue light grows algae faster than white”, plus a whole host of other takes, lol.
Blue lights can grow algae too but typically it's white light that grows algae fast. Corals don't need white light. It's mainly just for viewing astetics and to raise par.

The "why" means why turn lights on before the tank builds biodiversity and microfauna. If you put lights on algae will start. First diatoms, then cyano or gha and finally dinos if you don't keep your parameters good. Now if your tank builds biodiversity and microfauna first, pods, etc... your biome will be ready to address your ugly phases. The uglies will still come the first year but they will be manageable because you have a team of good guys in the tank to help battle along with your cleaner crew.

Also it takes more then light to grow algae but light can kick start it however algae like bubble algae can grow in the shadows or caves with no light. Cyano is very light dependent but hates flow so proper flow around the tank limits this bacteria from taking over.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not a believer in cycling dark to prevent the ugly stage. I would add a piece of live rock, shells, or anything with live coralline algae to seed the tank.

Diatoms are usually the first organism to grow. I’d add snails, a small tuxedo urchin etc to keep it trimmed down on the rocks. A few fish for aesthetics. Then slowly bring in the corals if you want.

I never did those dark cycles. I think it’s pretty pointless.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not a believer in cycling dark to prevent the ugly stage. I would add a piece of live rock, shells, or anything with live coralline algae to seed the tank.

Diatoms are usually the first organism to grow. I’d add snails, a small tuxedo urchin etc to keep it trimmed down on the rocks. A few fish for aesthetics. Then slowly bring in the corals if you want.

I never did those dark cycles. I think it’s pretty pointless.
Good point, some real live ocean rock really jumpstarts the biome.

Spudsmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS has a fantastic new series on how to cycle a tank and completely eliminate the “Ugly” faze highly recommend looking into it.

“”Hint get some pods in there ASAP””

But yes, how others have said the blue light will still grow algae there’s still an energy source for photosynthetic organisms might not be the best spectrum for growth but it will still grow .

Happy Reefing!

OP
OP
Smithrz

Smithrz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS has a fantastic new series on how to cycle a tank and completely eliminate the “Ugly” faze highly recommend looking into it.

“”Hint get some pods in there ASAP””

But yes, how others have said the blue light will still grow algae there’s still an energy source for photosynthetic organisms might not be the best spectrum for growth but it will still grow .

Happy Reefing!
Okay, I’ll check the latest from BRS, I tend to follow a lot of their advice. Thanks for the responses folks, and answering the question

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turn lights on after a week or 2, I like to promote some algae for the microfauna. But I also will let my tanks get super ugly for the sake of diversity. Eventually an algae easy to deal with dominates, usually once I cut the whites for a month.

But I can't recommend this to anyone who doesn't want to deal with algae

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back