Too much powerhead flow?

SuperReefNoob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my freshly finished cycle 40g breeder, i have 2 clowns,1 watchman goby, 1 pistol shrimp, 1 blue legged hermit and 2 nassarius snails...

I am running 2 hydor koralia evo 850s and my clowns seem to only want to stay on the "calm" side of the tank...do you think i have too much going on?

Sorry for the crummy picture, the lights drowned it out...

the one in the back right corner blows slightly up to kind of agitate the surface but aims straight to the right wall
the front right also points slightly up and straight at the left wall

20240420_191954.jpg

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion if you can keep your sand in place then it probably isn’t too much flow.
I definitely wouldn’t use the behavior of clownfish as an indicator of too much flow. Clown fish are weird most of the time. In my 125g tank my two clownfish don’t leave one specific area, unless it is to quickly grab a bite of food. I had one clownfish who used to go to the corner of the tank and stay vertical all night.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not too much flow, I have 2 gyres in my 40 breeder (plus the return pump). Remember that our animals come from the ocean where there is always very strong flow, storms, waves, etc...

The clowns will find a spot they like and never move from their, that's how they are, nothing to do with the flow.

I would raise the powerheads higher and aim them slightly upwards and towards each other to agitate the surface and get the flows to bounce off each each for random flow patterns.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 108 81.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.5%
Back