Why cant i turn my AI prime up?

Gavin Noy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning everybody.

As per title i am running an AI prime 16 hd on my evo. As soon as the lightnis turned above 35% intensity across the blues and violets my LPS hates it and harldy open. My purple torch loses colour and the polyps start turning white. Had the torches under the prime for 3 months now. They are in the corners on the bottom too.

I run my nutrients up at 15 nitrates and 0.10 phos, Mag at 1440 and calc at 420, Alk at 8.5.

I see guys running primes on evos at 80%+ and have no idea how LPS survive.

Im running an Nero 3 at 25% random so have plenty of flow too.

Im relatively new to reefing about 9 months in now. Just cant get my head around the constant low lighting. I have a few SPS sticks that are opening but not growing and im thinking i need to up my lights. I dont get any consumption.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning everybody.

As per title i am running an AI prime 16 hd on my evo. As soon as the lightnis turned above 35% intensity across the blues and violets my LPS hates it and harldy open. My purple torch loses colour and the polyps start turning white. Had the torches under the prime for 3 months now. They are in the corners on the bottom too.

I run my nutrients up at 15 nitrates and 0.10 phos, Mag at 1440 and calc at 420, Alk at 8.5.

I see guys running primes on evos at 80%+ and have no idea how LPS survive.

Im running an Nero 3 at 25% random so have plenty of flow too.

Im relatively new to reefing about 9 months in now. Just cant get my head around the constant low lighting. I have a few SPS sticks that are opening but not growing and im thinking i need to up my lights. I dont get any consumption.

How high above the tank is the light? My prime is on the flex arm mount around 8” above a 15g and I’m running around 70-80%

What are your other channels set to

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have AI Prime on a 15 gallon softie tank (mushroom and zoa's with a couple lps) and the light is set at 70%. I can't believe that you can't turn your lights above 35%. I do believe you that your corals are not growing though.

OP
OP
G

Gavin Noy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2844.png

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you click on the moon in the top right you can set up an acclimation period for X days at X% intinsity.. I have a Pime 16HD over my 25g lagoon running the Pennywise 81 preset. My hammer, torch duncan, and an acan are on the sandbed and doing good. but I started them at 35% intinsity and a 25 day acclimation period.

OP
OP
G

Gavin Noy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have AI Prime on a 15 gallon softie tank (mushroom and zoa's with a couple lps) and the light is set at 70%. I can't believe that you can't turn your lights above 35%. I do believe you that your corals are not growing though.
If you dont believe it then this a pointless post for you to reply to. Unless you believe i have nothing better to do than make up fake posts for attention. Then worth the reply. Thanks for your help.

OP
OP
G

Gavin Noy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you click on the moon in the top right you can set up an acclimation period for X days at X% intinsity.. I have a Pime 16HD over my 25g lagoon running the Pennywise 81 preset. My hammer, torch duncan, and an acan are on the sandbed and doing good. but I started them at 35% intinsity and a 25 day acclimation period.
Good idea that mate thank you. Will work something steady out and do that. I will take a photo of my purple ozzy torch today and see how it goes and look back to see if it’s struggling much. Its currently splitting and some of the polyps were pure white last time i ran the prime on 40. Time will tell. Cheers

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you dont believe it then this a pointless post for you to reply to. Unless you believe i have nothing better to do than make up fake posts for attention. Then worth the reply. Thanks for your help.
I think he was saying that he was surprised is all, not that you were trolling.

OP
OP
G

Gavin Noy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set it to 68% over the blues and voilets, and 11% cw. Acclimate over 30 days, starting at 55%.

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good idea that mate thank you. Will work something steady out and do that. I will take a photo of my purple ozzy torch today and see how it goes and look back to see if it’s struggling much. Its currently splitting and some of the polyps were pure white last time i ran the prime on 40. Time will tell. Cheers
I know I had to do 25 day acclimation and started at 30% intinsity. I worked I also have my light 12" off the water so that decreases the output as well. I want to lower it once I get into SPS to get a little better PAR readings. I still have 4 days left in acclimation mode as well so once that is done I going to borrow my LFS PAR meter and do some measurements. Here is the schedule I run.
PennyWise Deadlights 81%.jpeg

OP
OP
G

Gavin Noy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I had to do 25 day acclimation and started at 30% intinsity. I worked I also have my light 12" off the water so that decreases the output as well. I want to lower it once I get into SPS to get a little better PAR readings. I still have 4 days left in acclimation mode as well so once that is done I going to borrow my LFS PAR meter and do some measurements. Here is the schedule I run.
I read the primes have a intense hot spot so thats why im high up like yours. I have a slimer, a green hydnophora and a birds nest on a frag rack and they are doing well so cant wait to see some growth if the acclimation works out. Low down i have 2 gonis, 2 torches, a golden hammer, some gsp, zoas, palys, candy cane, and an acan.

OP
OP
G

Gavin Noy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that an edited saxby?

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe the saxby was the inspiration for it but it is called Pennywise Deadlights 81%. The up and down is similar to the Saxby.

OP
OP
G

Gavin Noy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dayligths are about the 12k look not white but white enough and the evening the blues kick in and things do pop with color. Will get some pictures this evening with the orange filter lens on.
Yeah nice one. Iv googled and tried to find what the heck this setting is… any ideas?
IMG_2845.png

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 34 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 131 75.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.5%
Back