algae id? And how to solve it.

Have you had problems removing cyano or other algae

• No

• Yes( post down below how you fixed it and what was the problem)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this tank set up for 7 and a half months now and I have been battling to love this problem. I think its cyano but I have dosed red cyano Rx and chemiclean and none have shown any affects at removing it. I have lost all but two fish and my corals look very bad. I am on my second day of the 3-day medication of red cyano Rx. Will post picture's soon.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your po4and no3 numbers. Pics will really help.

OP
OP
Alexreefer

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot 2019-01-20 at 4.34.27 PM.png
Screenshot 2019-01-20 at 4.34.14 PM.png
Screenshot 2019-01-20 at 4.34.03 PM.png

This is the tank without blues. It is covered in a cyano like algae but it won't go away. I turned up the light cycle in the refugium to try and combat some of the cyano in the DT but it grows down there and it doesn't help. I am thinking about doing a three day lights off but My corals are already so stressed out that I'm afraid they might die so I plan to do the following. When I do my water change tomorrow I will take my orals out and place them in two buckets. I will place the frags in a bucket and put egg crate to hold them up. As for my My big green coral you see in the second picture which I still don't know what it is will go in alone as he is about 8 inches across. I plan on putting my two Ai primes to light the buckets and keep a close eye on them. Does this seem ok? Any suggestions. Will post my params in a few. Plan on fixing the aquascape during the water change and will siphon out all detritus and clean the sand.

Thanks, Alex

OP
OP
Alexreefer

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today is day 1 and a half of the three day lights off. I placed my corals in buckets with an ai prime. I plan on taking my rocks out on day three and putting them in a peroxide/saltwater bath for about a day or two. Will this have any negative affects on the rock. Should I have my refugium light on? Lastly should I do a water change after the 3 day black out?

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today is day 1 and a half of the three day lights off. I placed my corals in buckets with an ai prime. I plan on taking my rocks out on day three and putting them in a peroxide/saltwater bath for about a day or two. Will this have any negative affects on the rock. Should I have my refugium light on? Lastly should I do a water change after the 3 day black out?
Not sure but how are you heating and providing flow and oxygen to these buckets?

AustinB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It almost looks like a diatom bloom? I see a brown film in the pictures is that what it looks like, fuzzy brown film?

OP
OP
Alexreefer

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It almost looks like a diatom bloom? I see a brown film in the pictures is that what it looks like, fuzzy brown film?
Might be as I have battling it as cyano but not sure now. Going to do wc today and put rocks in a peroxide bath for a day or two

AustinB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you get your water from?

AustinB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I didn’t check back in. What were your water parameters at, and how did the blackout go?

OP
OP
Alexreefer

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just performed my water change and all params are now in a good range. I did a 3 day black out and most of my algae went away then I took all my rocks out and placed them in a 30 gal sterilite container and put in h202 everyday for 3 days. All rocks are clean of algae and while rocks were in the container I kept the light off in the dt. Sadly for some odd reason I lost all my lps which is sad but now I can really focus on how I want my tank to look. Will post pictures tmr when lights are on.

wlittlefield

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful and go slow. I did a similar thing with my rock when I was starting. However, by letting them swim it h2o2 you basically kill a big portion the 'live' part of your rock. That means they will likely need re-cycle and populate with beneficial bacteria. As that is underway, you'll want to control nutrients going into the tank or risk major nutrient/ ammonia / phosphate swings.

As I said, I tried a similar method to get rid of bryopsis. It did sort of work, but performing such a jarring action was difficult on the tank and set of a serious chain reaction that was equally challenging to control.

OP
OP
Alexreefer

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful and go slow. I did a similar thing with my rock when I was starting. However, by letting them swim it h2o2 you basically kill a big portion the 'live' part of your rock. That means they will likely need re-cycle and populate with beneficial bacteria. As that is underway, you'll want to control nutrients going into the tank or risk major nutrient/ ammonia / phosphate swings.

As I said, I tried a similar method to get rid of bryopsis. It did sort of work, but performing such a jarring action was difficult on the tank and set of a serious chain reaction that was equally challenging to control.
Will do. Thanks for the heads up. Will get some microbacter7 and monitor my nutrients closely

OP
OP
Alexreefer

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 days in and I think I see some cyano on the sand:(. Im constantly stirring and siphoning it out. What can I do to prevent a mass outbreak again!

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 96 44.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 73 33.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 35 16.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back