Algae ID please

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This very dark green short algae is taking over one of my rocks. You can see it surrounding my Duncan's. What type of algae is this? My cleaning crew avoids it like covid. Seems to prefer only low light area. Tank is 5 months old. Thanks for the help.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the pic

Attachments

• 20210821_163002.jpg
    20210821_163002.jpg
    324.7 KB · Views: 57

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This very dark green short algae is taking over one of my rocks. You can see it surrounding my Duncan's. What type of algae is this? My cleaning crew avoids it like covid. Seems to prefer only low light area. Tank is 5 months old. Thanks for the help.
Would need a clear, close-up photo, under white light to be of any assistance..... And there it is.

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need a closer shot. Zoom in and or use a magnifying glass.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Could be wiry algae, vaionia or cyano. Try blowing loose with a turkey baster and see if remains or falls apart, Also net or siphon loose matter after doing this.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be wiry algae, vaionia or cyano. Try blowing loose with a turkey baster and see if remains or falls apart, Also net or siphon loose matter after doing this.

Ok will do, never heard of a few of those. It's very dark green almost like an algae version of GSP in appearance.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ok will do, never heard of a few of those. It's very dark green almost like an algae version of GSP in appearance.
Like GSP is a very good description which describes what ist is known as Green Turf Algae. They are coarse, wiry, and generally have thicker wider blades than Green Hair Algae. They may or may not have a mat like root structure, sometimes they just seem to sprout from the rock. Turf algae that sprouts directly from the rock can be a pain to control, as it is difficult if not impossible to pluck it all. Once discovered it should be treated outside of the aquarium, perhaps by dipping the affected rock or frag in water treated with an algaecide or even hydrogen Peroxide.
Turf algae that grows with a root mat can be peeled by pushing down on the algae as you scrape your thumb against the rock dislodging it in one swoop. Let it get big enough so you have leverage. Scrubbing with a stiff toothbrush or auto detail brush will also help. After youve cleaned it, add some: Pin cushion urchins, chitons, and even emerald crabs (although I dont trust emeralds).

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like GSP is a very good description which describes what ist is known as Green Turf Algae. They are coarse, wiry, and generally have thicker wider blades than Green Hair Algae. They may or may not have a mat like root structure, sometimes they just seem to sprout from the rock. Turf algae that sprouts directly from the rock can be a pain to control, as it is difficult if not impossible to pluck it all. Once discovered it should be treated outside of the aquarium, perhaps by dipping the affected rock or frag in water treated with an algaecide or even hydrogen Peroxide.
Turf algae that grows with a root mat can be peeled by pushing down on the algae as you scrape your thumb against the rock dislodging it in one swoop. Let it get big enough so you have leverage. Scrubbing with a stiff toothbrush or auto detail brush will also help. After youve cleaned it, add some: Pin cushion urchins, chitons, and even emerald crabs (although I dont trust emeralds).

I think you nailed it. It seems exactly like what you described. It's not vastly over taking the tank or anything just moving along pretty good on one rock. I wonder if a tang will eat it? I'm not opposed to those other clean up crew guys you mentioned either. It does not appear to be trying to grow on my corals at all.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So standard snail crew doesn't work on this stuff?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back