Algae ID

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers
Can I get a quick ID on this algae and what inverts will take care of it. I have some trochus snails and some hermits but it’s a bit too much for them to tackle or I need some different types of inverts. I also have a urchin thats not really doing anything. The algae is short and thick comes out in clumps mostly. My tank is only a 6.5 gallon long so keep that in mind. Picture is below. Thanks !
IMG_0267.jpeg
IMG_0268.jpeg IMG_0294.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey reefers
Can I get a quick ID on this algae and what inverts will take care of it. I have some trochus snails and some hermits but it’s a bit too much for them to tackle or I need some different types of inverts. I also have a urchin thats not really doing anything. The algae is short and thick comes out in clumps mostly. My tank is only a 6.5 gallon long so keep that in mind. Picture is below. Thanks !
IMG_0267.jpeg
IMG_0268.jpeg IMG_0294.jpeg
Snails or fish wont touch this stuff likely. Similiar to bryopsis, this is derbesia which is one of the more challenging of algae due to need of its complete removal. Removal is best accomplished by taking the rock out of tank and placing in a container of tank water. Then you will want to pull as much as you can by hand and discard. With a dental pick or small crochet needle, pull the roots off the rock. YOU MUST GET EVERY ROOT OR IT WILL SIMPLY RETURN !!
After you are done return rock to tank and reduce white light intensity and even hours of white light and add the following cleaners which will help with control. These guys will consume bryopsis but not as fast as bryopsis can grow - They will never keep up.
Pin cushion urchin, Chiton snails, pitho crabs, and larger astrea snails

This procedure is not as bad or time consuming as it seems. Assure phosphate levels do not become elevated which helps feed this algae

harbor Freight:

dental picks.png

resortez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, you need a large & diverse CUC from a verity of hermit crabs, urchins, snails, sea hares, crabs, along with herbivore fish like tangs, rabbits, dwarf angels, blennies. Like mentioned above, manual removal too. Trochus snails are type to mow down most type of algae so I would load up on that type of snail. It won’t go away over night but it will vanish with good maintenance. Good luck

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%

Back