Algae Id and how to remove?

Lukebora

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I woke up overnight and all of this algae appeared out of nowhere it seems, what inverts will take care of this. I am considering hermit crabs.
image.jpg

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hermit crabs and snails. Trochus (best snail IMO), astrea, ceriths. Grab a few nassarius to stir the sand too.

But please note, I see your tank is very new - algae is natural and expected in new systems, so don't go crazy trying to get rid of it.

williamCreery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d do 0 hermit crabs. They’ll end up killing each other for their shells and you’ll be ground out back to 0 with an algae problem due to their stupid death causing spikes for algae growth.

I also know those lights have a serious review problem with people saying they are super bright… and color options are what mess people up choosing the right lighting, bright enough for corals but less or so enough for algae to grow…

Algae love white light… but they do also love blue. Short story my experience… algae like more white than blue clearly.

Your goal will to have a very low white spectrum with a high blue… just temporary… to win the battle with the ugly faze of your tank..
and go for a stock of 5 trocha snails, 5 nerits, 5 turbos(even better if you can find Mexican turbos) , and 5 *Astraea*,
3 Nassarius snails, 1 conch

(DO NOT BUY BUMBLEBEE SNAILS or hermits) <—- also a problem you’ll encounter later with them. So don’t get them.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back