Algae in closed bucket ato?

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I'm sure there is a simple expiation to this but I'm scratching my head. I installed a brand new a to on my wife's sump and the other day found algae floating in bucket. The bucket is sealed and nothing is growing in it. I cleaned it out very good and refilled it w new to water. Checked it again a moment ago and again there is algae floating in bottom of bucket. Pump, line and bucket are all new and the feed hose does not touch sumps water so its not back siphoning , just algae floating in bottom of bucket. Any ideas?

OP
OP
rusty hannon

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the words of Jeff Goldblum "Life finds a way"

What type of bucket? What is the TDS of your top off water?
The bucket is a tunze bucket that comes in the 3155 option. Its white but new and not clear and my refill water TDs is 0 ppm , I make it with counter top revolution ro/do water and test TDs w digital meter. Also thank you for helping me figure this out. Oh , the algae isn't growing in bucket , it appears to have been placed in it somehow.

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No none at all. When my wife gets home in a few min I will b able to send you a couple of pixs. My son tells me I have no storage space?
I thought ur son was referring to the tank stand storage space, then realized he was prob talking about your phone! :D:D:D

OP
OP
rusty hannon

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought ur son was referring to the tank stand storage space, then realized he was prob talking about your phone! :D:D:D
IMG_20201120_123851.jpg

It is not in sunlight and my tds is zero. Thanks for your help and advice

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, a bit strange but the only thing I can think of is that you may have received a used ATO container... I'd give it a bleach bath for 24 hrs, then rinse and soak another 24 hrs w clean water running power head all the time. Rinse and let it dry then try again as ATO. This should kill any undesirable bacteria/algae left over in the container.

OP
OP
rusty hannon

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, a bit strange but the only thing I can think of is that you may have received a used ATO container... I'd give it a bleach bath for 24 hrs, then rinse and soak another 24 hrs w clean water running power head all the time. Rinse and let it dry then try again as ATO. This should kill any undesirable bacteria/algae left over in the container.
Thank you , its a great idea and will implemente it. I didn't even get past the where did it come from thought, much less a solution to the problem. More eyes and thoughts are so much better than one. Such a great place

OP
OP
rusty hannon

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you , its a great idea and will implemente it. I didn't even get past the where did it come from thought, much less a solution to the problem. More eyes and thoughts are so much better than one. Such a great place
Ya he was talking about phone and sorry if I was confusing, h ,I'm still learning ackronems. Took me 2 years before I figured out what LFS meant. Lol.

Back