Algae IS

Lovefish77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been seeing this encrusting thing growing in my tank for sometime. When I cleaned my wavemakers recently I found a lot of them on the wave makers grill intakes. It is very solid and hard to remove. Pic attached..they like 2 to 5 mm in size with very sharp pointy edges.

Any thoughts? Thank you

20201121_121605.jpg 20201120_222657.jpg

OP
OP
Lovefish77

Lovefish77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vermited snail.
It is something static not living, like an encrusting algae of some sort.
Oh just googled them you could be right. Are they like feather dusters?
Are they good or bad? So far I saw them near overflows and wave makers (high flow areas) and not on the rocks and coral structures.

Last edited:

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like a vermetid snail. They arent that bad, theyre just harmless filter feeders but they could end up growing all over your tank. I have some on my rocks right now, their very hard to get off.
Key is got remove the whole thing from the bottom of the encrusted part, because I once used clippers to take off the top part and it just grows back in a few days because the worm will hide on the bottom.

OP
OP
Lovefish77

Lovefish77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like a vermetid snail. They arent that bad, theyre just harmless filter feeders but they could end up growing all over your tank. I have some on my rocks right now, their very hard to get off.
Key is got remove the whole thing from the bottom of the encrusted part, because I once used clippers to take off the top part and it just grows back in a few days because the worm will hide on the bottom.
I see if they are harmless I would leave them. I have thousands of tiny feather dusters. But I noticed these have a very hard skeleton to remove that I had to take them out with a pin from my wave makers..they are just soo hard to remove.
What is the consensus on them? Bad or neutral? Or good?
Thx

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see if they are harmless I would leave them. I have thousands of tiny feather dusters. But I noticed these have a very hard skeleton to remove that I had to take them out with a pin from my wave makers..they are just soo hard to remove.
What is the consensus on them? Bad or neutral? Or good?
Thx
Its kinda neutral. They dont hurt anything, but they can become an eyesore

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back