Algae issue

soxford27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 29 gallon tank that’s been running for 2 years. This is the first time I’ve ever had this algae before and I can’t get rid of it. I’ve been in the hobby for 10 years and haven’t come across this before. Any idea how to get rid of it. I do 25% water changes every two weeks. I feed my fish maybe 3 times a week. I test my aquarium every two weeks opposite of my water change weeks. Side not I have not test my aquarium myself in a month as I am waiting for my Hannah master to be fixed and returned. I know my phosphates are high and magnesium is low based off of my LFS testing the water. I’m dosing phosphate E (brightwell), magnesium (Red Sea) and microbacter 7 (brightwell). Thank is alittle cloudy from the phosphate E. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

6BBD652C-F70B-49DE-A527-9612833CD44F.jpeg

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 29 gallon tank that’s been running for 2 years. This is the first time I’ve ever had this algae before and I can’t get rid of it. I’ve been in the hobby for 10 years and haven’t come across this before. Any idea how to get rid of it. I do 25% water changes every two weeks. I feed my fish maybe 3 times a week. I test my aquarium every two weeks opposite of my water change weeks. Side not I have not test my aquarium myself in a month as I am waiting for my Hannah master to be fixed and returned. I know my phosphates are high and magnesium is low based off of my LFS testing the water. I’m dosing phosphate E (brightwell), magnesium (Red Sea) and microbacter 7 (brightwell). Thank is alittle cloudy from the phosphate E. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

6BBD652C-F70B-49DE-A527-9612833CD44F.jpeg
Looks like hair algae but from the bubbles and some strings of slime, I would hazard a guess and say there is something else growing with it. Not sure what to do. It seems to have started some time ago and has gotten a foot hold on all the surfaces.

OP
OP
S

soxford27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like hair algae but from the bubbles and some strings of slime, I would hazard a guess and say there is something else growing with it. Not sure what to do. It seems to have started some time ago and has gotten a foot hold on all the surfaces.
I know for sure it’s not hair algae. I’ve had hair algae in the past and got rid of it. This stuff no one touches it.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know for sure it’s not hair algae. I’ve had hair algae in the past and got rid of it. This stuff no one touches it.
Cyanobacteria and dinoflagellates can make hair algae unpalatable.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 45 34.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back