Algae issues? "Manual removal"? say what?

OP
OP
S

ScubaSkeets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with a 50/50 mix of live rock & live sand.
I've taken the tank apart to do peroxide & scrubbing more than once.
I still have to manually remove algae every few weeks.
Besides the peroxide and scrubbing, do you use any other methods to try to slow the algae growth before having to manually remove it?

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When people ask for suggestions on removing hairy algae from their tank, one of the top suggestions is "manual removal"
I am not doubting those who have been successful with it, but I wonder if the "juice is worth the squeeze"

Because, unless "manual removal" means something other than "pulling" the algae off the rocks, or using something to scrub it off, those methods are easier said than done, at least in my experience.
Simply tugging the algae with your fingers and/or a siphon is extremely time consuming and it usually results in just tearing the algae, and not removing the "base" that is stuck to the rock.
Using a brush "may" remove the "base" of the algae if you're persistent enough but that just leads to different issues, including splashing of some of the water out of the tank. I have had a bit of success mitigating the splashing by actually using a cheap sonic-care type electric toothbrush that I bought at Walmart for 20 bucks, but it still didn't quite solve my hairy alage issues.
So what other "manual removal" methods are there?

I have one method that has worked for me several times, with no ill effects, but it is somewhat unorthodox. So in the interest of avoiding the "gasp!! You do that?!" replies, I won't mention it here, although I'm guessing some of you may already know what it is.

Keep in mind that algae is a natural part of the ocean and of coral reefs.

In most part control is about keeping waste pollutants such as nitrates and phosphates under control and having sufficient numbers of organisms who consume algae. Most tanks have way too little algae consumers, after all who likes spend money to buy 200 snails for a 100 gal tank when pretty fish are calling out.

There are of course other trace elements that can cause algae to continue to grow even if P and N are controlled - excess iodine, iron and others can cause excess algae.

In some ways reefers are their own worst enemy by adding to much 'stuff' to the tank.
Feeding coral and the like are all the rage, but of course what will feed coral will also feed algae.

If you end up in a situation where algae is really out of control, smothering coral etc, the only real solution is to pull and scrub until it is short enough for an enhanced brigade of algae eaters to have a chance.

Together with limiting adding stuff like foods and additives to the tank and letting the tank inhabitants consume excess trace elements, eventually the ecosystem will find a natural balance and the algae will retreat.

Manual removal works effectively provided that you also think about what may be helping it to grow and remove them.

No one ever said keeping a reef is easy.

STLJam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 2.5 months in and I started with about 30% Live Rock from TBS and 70% Dry Rock. The Dry Rock has algae all over it and the live rock is sparkling clean.... wish I would have went all or mostly live vs the other way around.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have cut back slightly on the time lights are on.
Truthfully I need more of something to eat it.
I just got another 50 snails a while back, still have an urchin but more fish to eat it would help too.

FrugalReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1703611293442.jpeg

If I ever start a new tank again I’ll be sure to start out with live rock or dry rock that has been cured for several months. Even though I’m way past it now in my current tank, nothing is worth the headache and stress of going through the ugly stages.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I see “manual removal” I interpret that as hand plucking and leaving that which is unpluckable behind

You know my methods. Haven’t had to do any manual removal in years

mucky1957

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mentioned this in another post a week or so ago.
I had a fair amount of green hair algae and a lot of dragons breath algae in my tank and when I mentioned this to a friend he suggested I try a particular mix of phyto that he was producing / selling. I did. Two weeks later all the algae was gone..3 months on..it hasn't returned. I still dose about 50ml of the phyto every two days in a 240lt softy tank. Also..my phosphate is now stable at around 0.03 - 0.1.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back