Algae Issues

reelss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I am going through a transition from a 120 gallon to an 80 gallon build. The 120 is a bit neglected. What kind of algae is this? It’s talking over the rocks and corals. How do I treat it?

I am talking about the stringy stuff.

d1c7fa3e3799d8cf6a6ce7592ba3c53d.jpg

ffecad4740e96c15bb458763d761a5a7.jpg

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your situation I would pull some rocks and manually scrub off the ones that are the worst then do a 25% or so water change then add some gfo or phosgaurd, start carbon dosing, and do a treatment with fluconzole and limit the duration and intensity of the lights. Doesn’t seem like you have a lot of corals in there to worry about possibly shocking and killing them if you attack it like I described, and any fish will be fine. You mentioned neglected so it’s safe to assume that the levels of nutrients, phosphate, etc.... are elevated thus a lot of algae.

OP
OP
reelss

reelss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your situation I would pull some rocks and manually scrub off the ones that are the worst then do a 25% or so water change then add some gfo or phosgaurd, start carbon dosing, and do a treatment with fluconzole and limit the duration and intensity of the lights. Doesn’t seem like you have a lot of corals in there to worry about possibly shocking and killing them if you attack it like I described, and any fish will be fine. You mentioned neglected so it’s safe to assume that the levels of nutrients, phosphate, etc.... are elevated thus a lot of algae.

I don't have any fish. Just some inverts and a lot of frags.
What kind of algae is this anyway?
I will soon (in a week?) be pulling all rock out and putting it in a rubbermaid with no light. Planning on scrubbing then.
I have GFO and Carbon running already. But perhaps due for a water change.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really doesn’t seem all that bad. I’m not an algae expert but maybe one will chime in, but it’s probably just some type of stringy gha that’s brownish. With enough of a cuc and a couple algae grazers like a tang etc.... it probably wouldn’t have even been noticeable.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 15.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 71 47.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 48 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back