algae on sand bed

bobmakespancakes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this algae (I think it is algae) growing all over the sand bed but my snails, hermit crabs, and emerald crab won't eat it. Is there anything that i can get that would eat this or something to get rid of this in general? I was considering nassarius snails because I currently have nothing that goes in the actual sand bed.

unnamed (1).jpg unnamed (2).jpg unnamed.jpg

daybreaksky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just hair algae due to undisturbed sandbed that gets caked together
nassarius or/and a goby. you can also vacuum it with water change and suck out the affected sand and also stir it up over time (recommended method because unvacuumed sandbad is a like a litter box)
also if you do start to vacuum it, don't stir it up all over, carefully do small sections with a wand, they are cheap on amazon

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would not recommend a sand sifting goby! Your sand is way to coarse and it will either hurt itself trying to sift the sand or it will just refuse to do it.

OP
OP
bobmakespancakes

bobmakespancakes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not recommend a sand sifting goby! Your sand is way to coarse and it will either hurt itself trying to sift the sand or it will just refuse to do it.
so would you suggest nassarius snails then? if so how many? i have a 13 gallon tank.

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
so would you suggest nassarius snails then? if so how many? i have a 13 gallon tank.
nass snails are great but they don't do a great job IMO stirring the sand bed. They just hide all day under the sand until I feed, come out and eat, then go back down like 20 min later. So they really only stir the sand in the quarter size spot they pop up from and then burrow themselves back under.

If you wanted to add a nass snail I would recommend one, maybe 2 in that size system but again, since they burrow idk if your sand bed is too course and will scratch them up and hurt them. They wont solve your algae issue though (they don't eat algae) and a small conch might be able to help keep the sand turned but again, not sure if your sand is too coarse and will scratch their bellies up.

That is why a lot of reefers will keep a bare bottom tank (avoid this issue all together) or will use a finer grand sand that allows for sand sifting/burrowing animals. Also, I find it that tanks with finer sand gives less surface area for algae to grow on and tend not to have issues as badly.

I am not necessarily recommending this, but in THEORY would you ever consider changing out your sand bed? The only reason I ask is because a finer sand bed (like fiji pink) would allow you to get some sand sifting fish/cuc and can make it a bit harder for algae to grow. But -- if you like the way the course sand looks or you keep SPS coral that needs higher flow, finer grain sand might be more issues then it is worth in that case

daybreaksky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1-2 snails per gallon is the general recommendation. I don't think snails alone will solve the problem but will help in long term maintenance. Thanks for goby advise @One Reefing Boi there are many different types and equal amount of discussions in that regard but ya smaller ones like diamond need finer sand

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1-2 snails per gallon is the general recommendation. I don't think snails alone will solve the problem but will help in long term maintenance. Thanks for goby advise @One Reefing Boi there are many different types and equal amount of discussions in that regard but ya smaller ones like diamond need finer sand
just an fyi about the snails..

BRS did a video on this. Realistically, they think more in the lines of 1 snail/5 gallons, but all depends on the situation... I have a 15 gal and have 2 nass, 1 turban, and 2 mexican turbos. Wont add any more than that.

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

oh forgot to add, to immediately solve your problem- I would recommend just using a turkey baster to disturb the top 1/2" of the sand bed to help gently turn it over every few days or w/e you do your water changes.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 80 75.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 10 9.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 14 13.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back