Algae on the back glass

  • Thread starter Thread starter GoPitt88
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

GoPitt88

Pitt Basketball is BACK!
View Badges
Joined
Oct 20, 2016
Messages
1,066
Reaction score
3,827
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So do most people let algae grow on the back glass? I have some coralline algae growing, but most of the back glass gets covered by a greenish brownish algae. Is that OK? Can I see some pics of your back glass so I can compare to mine? Here are a couple pics of mine [emoji16]
bfe800c0ff2da3b99886827e23a5bfc5.jpg
2f7dbc08a7d89db2d35eb872fd674f9d.jpg
 
I have it also don't think it's bad for the tank but looks bad for sure.
 
If you cover or paint the back glass, you may not get the algae growth. That's what I did, and it worked for me.
 
Back glass (and _only_ the back glass!) is covered in hair algae. Tang snacks. Parrotfish snacks. Nitrate sink. I hardly notice it, unless I'm looking for it, or there's a bit floating loose in the tank.

~Bruce
 
If you cover or paint the back glass, you may not get the algae growth. That's what I did, and it worked for me.

Why does covering the back glass (from the outside, I’m assuming) reduce the algae? It still gets the same lighting, etc.
 
Why does covering the back glass (from the outside, I’m assuming) reduce the algae? It still gets the same lighting, etc.
It stops the outside light from getting into your tank. I don't know, but it worked for me. Also, what kind of lighting are you using? How long are you running them?
 
I don't get much algae, but I always leave the back glass alone for critters to nibble on. I'm not sure but the bubbles on the algae may be concerning for something more sinister, perhaps dinoflagellates? I would ask in the algae forums.
 
I keep the front and sides clean the snails keep the back pretty clean. I scrape it every few months if it starts to get to bad.
 
I agree, I don't usually worry about the back glass. I covered mine because I didn't like seeing the wall behind my tank, and the wires. But when I covered it, the algae stopped growing on the back glass.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new