Algae or bacteria

newtohobby1025

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. My 65 gallon reef tank is 6 weeks old. to me it looks like hair algae, but I'm told otherwise. Its covering the sand and glass which looks like hair algae but locally, im told to add more sand and bacteria. I’m not sure what to do. A couple of people responded last night, I’m just looking for some more opinions.

thanks a lot

D265DB9A-E9E6-4E89-8D37-8F38283B9174.jpeg 1BDDCAEF-CDAE-475F-9EA6-9C6B068B9AF3.jpeg B243295D-CF26-4287-8FFC-A42F34FBF4E3.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I see mainly algae
Is this tank at or near a window?
If so- this is your chief issue
Lower white light intensity also and add some snails such as astrea, turbo grazer, nassarius, and cerith
Even a pin cushion urchin

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look superficially like hair algae but it will siphon off very easily and if you try to grab it and pull it it will fall apart. If it was hair algae it would pull up the sand it's attached to when you try to do either. It's either dinos or cyano and all I would do is gently siphon off the top layer, rinse in fresh water, rinse again in H2O2 then rinse in fresh water again and let dry for a day or two before returning to the tank.

At 6 weeks old your tank is just beginning it's maturing process which can take 8-12 months. It looks to me like you just used dry rock and I'm guessing some bacteria. I'd suggest adding some quality maricultured live rock to introduce some of the microbial stuff that can't be stuck in a bottle and cryptic sponges essential for processing Dissolved Organic Carbon (DOC). See Aquabiomics article to learn more about how live rock helps mature a ssytem and here's links to some videos you may find informative:

"Coral Reefs in the Microbial Seas" by Forest Rohwer (Paper back is ~$20, Kindle is ~$10). Rohwer's book looks at the role DOC has in promoting coral diseases. This is a surprisingly readable book, sometimes funny, somtiems poignant, considering the complexity of the subject. His coauthor Merry Youle has also written a very good book on viruses "Thinking like a Phage" I'd reccommend also.

This video compliments Rohwer's book of the same title. While there is overlap bewteen his book and the video both have information not covered by the other and together give a broader view of the complex relationships found in reef ecosystems

Changing Seas - Mysterious Microbes

Nitrogen cycling in hte coral holobiont

BActeria and Sponges

Maintenance of Coral Reef Health (refferences at the end)

Optical Feedback Loop in Colorful Coral Bleaching

Richard Ross What's up with phosphate"

OP
OP
N

newtohobby1025

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all your responses. When I set up the tank I did use matriculated live rock. Thanks for helping with that though, I always appreciate feedback. If it’s grow strands on glass and sand can it still be hair algae. Also, why would I be told I need to add 40 more pounds of sand and add bacteria, since they told me I have bad bacteria?

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
because they're clueless and want to make a sale?

OP
OP
N

newtohobby1025

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look superficially like hair algae but it will siphon off very easily and if you try to grab it and pull it it will fall apart. If it was hair algae it would pull up the sand it's attached to when you try to do either. It's either dinos or cyano and all I would do is gently siphon off the top layer, rinse in fresh water, rinse again in H2O2 then rinse in fresh water again and let dry for a day or two before returning to the tank.

At 6 weeks old your tank is just beginning it's maturing process which can take 8-12 months. It looks to me like you just used dry rock and I'm guessing some bacteria. I'd suggest adding some quality maricultured live rock to introduce some of the microbial stuff that can't be stuck in a bottle and cryptic sponges essential for processing Dissolved Organic Carbon (DOC). See Aquabiomics article to learn more about how live rock helps mature a ssytem and here's links to some videos you may find informative:

"Coral Reefs in the Microbial Seas" by Forest Rohwer (Paper back is ~$20, Kindle is ~$10). Rohwer's book looks at the role DOC has in promoting coral diseases. This is a surprisingly readable book, sometimes funny, somtiems poignant, considering the complexity of the subject. His coauthor Merry Youle has also written a very good book on viruses "Thinking like a Phage" I'd reccommend also.

This video compliments Rohwer's book of the same title. While there is overlap bewteen his book and the video both have information not covered by the other and together give a broader view of the complex relationships found in reef ecosystems

Changing Seas - Mysterious Microbes

Nitrogen cycling in hte coral holobiont

BActeria and Sponges

Maintenance of Coral Reef Health (refferences at the end)

Optical Feedback Loop in Colorful Coral Bleaching

Richard Ross What's up with phosphate"

So when I picked it up, it didn’t stick to the sand or anything. It’s just kind of slimy. What would you think?

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it falls apart when handled it cyano or dinos. With hair algae you'll feel resistance as you pull it apart or seperate it from what it's attached to.

MZReef120

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a new tank you're going to go through lots of stages of maturity. My tank just hit over a year and I started a refugium to help remove nutrients from the tank.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back