Algae Outbreak!!!

Steve Maxwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've started dosing my tank every day with 10cc H2O2 (75G DT & ~25G sump/refugium) and am on day 2. I decided to treat in tank as the rocks are HEAVY and I've done some gluing/puttying that I don't want to come undone. Gonna try this for 8 days and see how it looks. Wonder if I should do a couple water changes within the 8 days? If I need to after that I'm going to raise my Mag as I have some bryopsis (sp?) which I've been trying to carefully pluck. I also got a lawnmower blenny...and man that fish is going to town!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep

and there is no harm at all adding one mil per ten gallons to the tank as of now to begin loosening things, its harmless to run your tank had no sensitive animals I could see, or at least any standouts worth not attacking this setup nicely to coax it back inline. if you had lysmatas or anemones we didn't see those would be factored in a whole tank dose

OP
OP
midtnmike41

midtnmike41

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep

and there is no harm at all adding one mil per ten gallons to the tank as of now to begin loosening things, its harmless to run your tank had no sensitive animals I could see, or at least any standouts worth not attacking this setup nicely to coax it back inline. if you had lysmatas or anemones we didn't see those would be factored in a whole tank dose
How often should I dose?

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've started dosing my tank every day with 10cc H2O2 (75G DT & ~25G sump/refugium) and am on day 2. I decided to treat in tank as the rocks are HEAVY and I've done some gluing/puttying that I don't want to come undone. Gonna try this for 8 days and see how it looks. Wonder if I should do a couple water changes within the 8 days? If I need to after that I'm going to raise my Mag as I have some bryopsis (sp?) which I've been trying to carefully pluck. I also got a lawnmower blenny...and man that fish is going to town!
How are you going to raise the magnesium?
I would do some digging before doing this

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kent techm...if algae goes away I won't worry about the mag for now
As information the current techM may not resolve bryopsis.
This is information that has been running around for some time now.
It's not the magnesium that kills it.

Steve Maxwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As information the current techM may not resolve bryopsis.
This is information that has been running around for some time now.
It's not the magnesium that kills it.

I know...I should have clarified that it wasn't the magnesium in techm that works. However I spoke with a couple people who have recently do everything this and they had success so hopefully I will to if needed.

FishOfHex

Reefer & 3D Printer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would you do if this was your tank? I have tried everything and waited months and I cannot beat this. My tank has become an eyesore. I really need some advice on how to handle this major algae outbreak. I have spent many many hours researching and reading forums on the subject, and feel like I am doing everything correct but with zero progress, in fact I think it’s getting worse. The tank is about a year old and has looked like this for the last 3 months, before that it was a beautiful tank that was thriving.

Parameters

Nitrates 0 (Red sea)

Phosphates 0 (Hanna)

Calcium 430 (Salifert)

Alk 9.3 (Hanna)

Mag 1350 (Salifert)

Here is what I have done so far:

Increased water changes to 20% per week with Red Sea Coral Pro, checked my RODI, it read 0 TDS, decreased light intensity and length, and manually remove all I can every time I have to hood off.

Here are my export methods:

Changing filter socks every 2 days, carbon dosing, skimming, running GFO and carbon in reactors. I have a pretty large cleanup crew of snails and crabs.

What should my next steps be? Please HELP!!!!!!

IDNTFU

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That looks really bad why didn't you try doing something before it got this bad ? As soon as you noticed algea growing you should of taken measures. Good luck pal

Last edited by a moderator:

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even though hindsight is much clearer, it's not as fun as mapping a fix out in order and then delivering in the face of a challenge, someone reading now has a worse situation and they want to see remedy

The fact it's centered on the rocks here makes for an easier fix among challenges.

Someone who thinks a turnaround is impossible is reading now, awaiting MMikes shots of his test rock a few days after zappage, which will look outstanding heh. The particular strain of algae though I don't know what it is, is very much intolerant to peroxide and it's all about to die.

OP
OP
midtnmike41

midtnmike41

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I was taking all the precautionary measures to prevent such an outbreak. Water changes, skimming, gfo, carbon, water testing, etc but it happened quick. It went from 3 spots to entire tank in less than 2 weeks. I did things to combat it during that time but as you can see it did no good. I thought I could starve it with carbon dosing and 3 months later it's still growing even with undetectable phosphate and nitrate. I know they are prob still there but being consumed by the algae. Looking back, yeah I'd be more aggressive earlier in the game but I'm learning.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I was taking all the precautionary measures to prevent such an outbreak. Water changes, skimming, gfo, carbon, water testing, etc but it happened quick. It went from 3 spots to entire tank in less than 2 weeks. I did things to combat it during that time but as you can see it did no good. I thought I could starve it with carbon dosing and 3 months later it's still growing even with undetectable phosphate and nitrate. I know they are prob still there but being consumed by the algae. Looking back, yeah I'd be more aggressive earlier in the game but I'm learning.
this is 2 to 3 weeks?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that looks really bad why didn't you try doing something before it got this bad ? As soon as you noticed algea growing you should of taken measures. Good luck pal
Please be nice:)
Stuff does happen.
To all of us.

Last edited by a moderator:

tthouston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank had problem as your tank, I just keep remove the rock and brush the rocks in old saltwater bucket. Algae will come back few days and I keep doing that then finally it is stop completely. As I remember, i have to brush all rock several times. I don't use any medicine to kill them, only change GFO and carbon media early a little bit. Keep brushing...keep brushing...keep brushing. Good luck.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this came on that rapidly you should hold on a minute and try to figure out what caused it. Thats not normal.

Lol really tried to phrase that as nice as possible.
Welcome to Reef2Reef. It a pretty cool place. Most everybody here is really very helpful. Honestly Im not sure why complete strangers are so willing to help each other out.
Because stuff happens to all of us.
And I must say, the universe, Karma, what have you, is a really inexplicable sometimes isn't it?

So here's links to what your here looking for.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/fish-disease-database.247600/
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/how-to-quarantine.189815/
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/treatment-options.247573/
Tangs get sick very quickly esp I guess if there is more than one in a tank unless you introduce then very carefully. Fish are weird that way.
Look up TTM its less medication intensive for ick than copper, and also Humblefish is a smart guy, he likes the heavier fish meds more than I do . So look at Ick management as well.
Ive learned a LOT about quarantine and Disease and treatment on R2R,and the options available in the last several months, it's been my main focus of study here really.
Even though I still :rolleyes:, Humblefish from time to time cuz Im a lot more like Paul B, he knows whats what and Ive learned a ton from him.

I know we haven't met yet, but your still welcome to stop by tomorrow morning to get the tank, hob filter and sponge and ceramic rings I have in my sump to get the Hospital set up like you posted for San Diego Reefs today. Should be cycling immediately that way esp If you stop at Fountains down the street for Catalina NSW or you have some Scripps on hand. (scripps water,Like chicken soup for sick fish:))

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back