OP
C

clowny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had API test kits to start for everything as well. The results told me to start dosing 2 part right away as well before I had any corals. I got Red Sea test kits and my numbers were through the roof. API is good for cycling but that's it. Get better kits. I know it's a little more money but they are worth it. I use Red Sea for alk, mag and calc, Salifert for nitrate and phosphate and API for pH only. Those will run you about 60 bucks.

Swing arm salinity gages are worthless. Spend the 50$, get a refractometer. The first tank I had years ago I used the swing arm for a year and then had a LFS test my water with a refractometer and my salinity was 1.030! Never again will I use one of those.

You will go through diatoms (brown algae) green algae, cyano in a new cycled tank. Just part of the game and perfectly healthy. I would wait till the diatoms recede on their own before getting coral, maybe another month. Stop cleaning and it will sort itself out faster. Remember, you are trying to create an ecosystem and every ecosystem needs the ugly parts so the beautiful parts can thrive. Water changes and scrub the glass for viewing pleasure is all you need for the next couple months. It will be ugly, that's why we call it "the ugly phase" And don't start with a torch. Get something easier like leather, xenia or green star polyps. Those last two can grow out of control so make sure you isolate them on their own rockwork.

Also, I found a RO/DI filter on amazon for 75 bucks and still haven't needed to change the filters after making 30 gallons every two weeks for ten months. Much cheaper than getting water from your LFS in the long run. And making your own mix lets you control whats going into your tank, not them.

As far as I know you should never need to use pH buffer in a saltwater tank. The salt mix, sand, rocks and alkalinity will do all the buffering that is needed. 7.8 to 8.4 is perfectly acceptable as long as it is stable. And stability is not something that is easy when using buffers.

This is a picture of my tank two months old and a pic of it last week. I only just started scrubbing rocks one at time at water changes to get detritus off of them. I never scrubbed them or the sand while going through the uglies. Hope this helps give you a picture of what to expect. Good luck!

reef ugly stage.jpg
full tank 1204.jpg

Ten months and I am still adding corals slowly. Patience is EVERYTHING!
[/QUOTE
am i allowed to scrub the gross stuff. i work for myself and im 19 so i have the time. Also will stop dosing but my ATO container has some PH buffer. SO THAT WILl continue micro dosing whenever it tops off. Also will get the refractometer but not getting the nice testing stuff yet. its too much money and even if API is off a little the Hanna ones are super pricey and im not breaking 1k. Im at 850 right now.

OP
OP
C

clowny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats a nice tank though. im a bigger fan of smaller nano tanks though.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After all the good advice above, and to save you some $$$ don't add a torch or any pricey corals. Because you are going through the "new tank uglies". We've all been there and if you rush into it, your wallet is going to suffer. Get yourself some easy corals, green star polyps, kenya trees, etc.. stuff that is resilient and inexpensive. As your tank matures and parameters level out then add your torches and cool corals. Slow down, take your time (I know it's hard looking at your tank) but we've all been there and we're trying to save you $$$ and disappointment.

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
I will never buy the Hanna testers, those are way to pricey. The ones I listed cost me 60 bucks for the Red Sea and Salifert test kits and they are far more accurate than API. But I understand wanting to save the money.

Don't scrub the rocks or sand, let them go through their cycles but scrubbing the glass and powerheads won't hurt anything.

Also when quoting something, start typing after the last QUOTE in the message so your words aren't mixed in with the message you are quoting.

artieg1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't worry about the algae for now. It is normal. And no, saltwater is not "cleaner" than fresh. That's just people regularly cleaning their tank with magnet cleaners.

My advice: slow down and read. Read these forums. Get a good basic marine keeping book. For example, dosing is a varsity level concern for certain highly demanding hard corals where water changes aren't enough to replenish ALK and calcium. That is not a concern of yours now. Add a few simple corals and monitor ALK and Calcium. A year from now if your tank is hosting numerous corals who drive down your ALK and Calcium, you could look into dosing.

Get a refractometer, goodness!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 11.1%

Back