Algae pain

Unitylover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano bacteria hates me, as it wont go, ive tried algaefix (same as vibrant), no change. I wiped the entire tank clean from algae, it came back. I tried red Cyano RX, no change

OP
OP
Unitylover

Unitylover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photo

Attachments

• 16538759631052383164484934151250.jpg
    16538759631052383164484934151250.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 79

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
make sure you add some air stones and follow directions. Be warned: your skimmer will go nuts for a week before it settles. Worth it but it was a pain. I just let the drain hose empty into a filter sock

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless it is smothering your corals, stop adding things to your tank. You will kill all of your biodiversity and get dinos.

Stop dosing vibrant.

Maintain nitrate/phosphate at low-ish but detectable. NO3 less than 20, PO4 less than 0.08

Cyano will go away on its own. Hit it with a turkey baster if it starts to smother any corals.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless it is smothering your corals, stop adding things to your tank. You will kill all of your biodiversity and get dinos.

Stop dosing vibrant.

Maintain nitrate/phosphate at low-ish but detectable. NO3 less than 20, PO4 less than 0.08

Cyano will go away on its own. Hit it with a turkey baster if it starts to smother any corals.
I disagree. Chemiclean won't kill your biodiversity. And once it is bad, ime it doesn't just go away. Agree on Vibrant as we now know it is not good for corals. But cyano will start smothering corals. Yes, you need to address nutrients but often, we need to get rid of the problem and then work on the cause. Due to test kit failures (where I thought my no3 was good until I got a hanna tester) I got hit with bad algae. Over running my tank. Nothing worked. I used reef flux after several months. Got rid of algae and got hit with cyano. No3 at 25 and po4 bottomed out. Dosed neophos, got rid of the cyano with chemi clean, and have now got my no3 and po4 back on track (slight delay as my house sitter overfed tank!). Starting to see some algae again, so adding to my cuc big time. But I needed the tank clear and on track and now have things handled.

If you get discouraged, you give up. People need to keep this in mind. If you take care of the problem (ie algae or cyano) , then you are free and more importantly, motivated to address the causes and keep it right. Sometimes, you need to just get cyano gone. Mine was overrunning the tank, even with good flow and lowered lights and even with blowing it off. No regrets. The longer I waited, the worse it became. Tank now looks great, no3 under 10-15. Never went above 25. Po4 under .08. While I was gone, PO jumped way up. Got it back down. Testing every day for a while to be sure. And watching the tank like a hawk.

pics are 24 hrs after chemi clean. Every surface was thick with cyano. Still have the airstones in lol's
20220507_134043.jpg
20220507_134117.jpg
20220507_134129.jpg
20220507_134144.jpg

OP
OP
Unitylover

Unitylover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Stop dosing vibrant.

I dont use vibrant, (just algaefix, same thing though) Ill stop adding things.

OP
OP
Unitylover

Unitylover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
c
I disagree. Chemiclean won't kill your biodiversity. And once it is bad, ime it doesn't just go away. Agree on Vibrant as we now know it is not good for corals. But cyano will start smothering corals. Yes, you need to address nutrients but often, we need to get rid of the problem and then work on the cause. Due to test kit failures (where I thought my no3 was good until I got a hanna tester) I got hit with bad algae. Over running my tank. Nothing worked. I used reef flux after several months. Got rid of algae and got hit with cyano. No3 at 25 and po4 bottomed out. Dosed neophos, got rid of the cyano with chemi clean, and have now got my no3 and po4 back on track (slight delay as my house sitter overfed tank!). Starting to see some algae again, so adding to my cuc big time. But I needed the tank clear and on track and now have things handled.

If you get discouraged, you give up. People need to keep this in mind. If you take care of the problem (ie algae or cyano) , then you are free and more importantly, motivated to address the causes and keep it right. Sometimes, you need to just get cyano gone. Mine was overrunning the tank, even with good flow and lowered lights and even with blowing it off. No regrets. The longer I waited, the worse it became. Tank now looks great, no3 under 10-15. Never went above 25. Po4 under .08. While I was gone, PO jumped way up. Got it back down. Testing every day for a while to be sure. And watching the tank like a hawk.

pics are 24 hrs after chemi clean. Every surface was thick with cyano. Still have the airstones in lol's
20220507_134043.jpg
20220507_134117.jpg
20220507_134129.jpg
20220507_134144.jpg
Do i have to use an airstone? My filter already oxygenates the water. A lot.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only place i get cyano is in my sandbed. Now I know why I get it(i'm to lazy to clean it properly when I do my weekly maintenance), and how to stop it.

I have put a small nero 3 down very low to provide flow over the sandbed. Since doing this, no more cyano on my sandbed.

Cyano loves rotting algae, and any uneaten rotting food left over. It will mat right up when conditions are favorable.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back