0   0   0
3813B2F0-EF67-45BA-92FA-5420A328F7B1.jpeg

How did this green algae occur? What can I do to get rid of it please help

Mark Novack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a new tank? If so it is normal and will go away on its own as it gives way to the next part of the cycle. Be ready for brown, then red, and finally it should all turn a pretty purple.

OP
OP
A

allen5x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a new tank? If so it is normal and will go away on its own as it gives way to the next part of the cycle. Be ready for brown, then red, and finally it should all turn a pretty purple.
I would say tank is about 3-4 months running . Not sure what’s considered new. I’m new to the saltwater tank world. Thank you for that information. And I went thru my brown stage already. How long usually til it goes away?

Mark Novack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normal algae stages can stick around for up to a year but 6 months is where a lot of it starts to self regulate well. Keep up with water changes and aim for stability. Are you using RODI water? Are there enough clean up crew animals?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it thank you! Is there a point in time where I should start to worry?
Don't allow your nutrients to bottom out.(nitrate and phosphate) Remove excess by hand, bolster CuC if necessary. Algae is not something to freak out over. Its due to the trend of using dry rock and everyone goes through it.

Mark Novack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it thank you! Is there a point in time where I should start to worry?
That is an interesting question. Yes, but I'll clarify. When an aquarium has settled in, most of the algae problems will be controlled naturally. If there is a sudden bloom, that is place for concern. In a maturing tank, there is not much to be done that will avoid the natural cycle. I discourage intervention. If the situation is not improving after 6 months and coralline has not become the primary surface cover then something is far off.

OP
OP
A

allen5x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is an interesting question. Yes, but I'll clarify. When an aquarium has settled in, most of the algae problems will be controlled naturally. If there is a sudden bloom, that is place for concern. In a maturing tank, there is not much to be done that will avoid the natural cycle. I discourage intervention. If the situation is not improving after 6 months and coralline has not become the primary surface cover then something is far off.
Got it thank you for this helpful information

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.5%
Back