Algae scrubber and/or organic carbon dosing?

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always used and liked algae scrubbers and I plan to use one in the new tank I will be moving my current livestock to. I have no experience with organic carbon dosing.

I like to get me some filter feeders in the future if possible and I've read somewhere the filter feeders like to feed on the bacteria that bloom from the organic carbon dosing.
Does that mean I would be better off with carbon dosing instead of using algae scrubber if I want to keep some filter feeders? Would other creatures also benefit from the bacteria as a food source?

I wonder if the algae scrubber has something to offer to the filter feeders as well, like algae spores as food source or something.
Maybe I could try dosing some ground up macroalgae juice as food (since culturing phyto seem like a lot of work).

Correct me if I'm wrong but using both methods at a time doesn't seem like a good idea with limited nutrient in the tank. I could try fine tuning both and/or feed more to balance but it sounds like work.

I would likely just go with the algae scrubber just because my current goal is to recreate my old setup but just wanted to know more about the subject. If it weren't for the goal, I would love to go try the methods I haven't tried before.

Compared to algae scrubber, I like how carbon dosing seem to consume less trace elements (please correct me if I'm wrong on this), uses less power (electricity), and takes up no realestate.
Of course there are many pros for the algae scrubbers too but I won't go there.

OP
OP
Levinson

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not too concerned about their ability to export nutrients. I'm sure they both do their job in that regard. I'm more interested in other benefits they may provide.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always used and liked algae scrubbers and I plan to use one in the new tank I will be moving my current livestock to. I have no experience with organic carbon dosing.

I like to get me some filter feeders in the future if possible and I've read somewhere the filter feeders like to feed on the bacteria that bloom from the organic carbon dosing.

For me the question is can I depend on carbon dosing to feed my filter feeders (which ones?)? 100% of their needs or just a snack size portion.

Personally, I never mix purposes. For example if you are carbon dosing to export nitrogen and feeding your filter feeders, the filter feeders get screwed when you stop carbon dosing because nitrates bottom out.

Does that mean I would be better off with carbon dosing instead of using algae scrubber if I want to keep some filter feeders? Would other creatures also benefit from the bacteria as a food source?

I wonder if the algae scrubber has something to offer to the filter feeders as well, like algae spores as food source or something.
Maybe I could try dosing some ground up macroalgae juice as food (since culturing phyto seem like a lot of work).

Algae juice is not the same as phytoplankton. Maybe, just be prepared to work to feed filter feeders

Correct me if I'm wrong but using both methods at a time doesn't seem like a good idea with limited nutrient in the tank. I could try fine tuning both and/or feed more to balance but it sounds like work.

I never saw the point of using two methods at the same to remove nitrogen.

I would likely just go with the algae scrubber just because my current goal is to recreate my old setup but just wanted to know more about the subject. If it weren't for the goal, I would love to go try the methods I haven't tried before.

Try carbon dosing.

Compared to algae scrubber, I like how carbon dosing seem to consume less trace elements (please correct me if I'm wrong on this), uses less power (electricity), and takes up no realestate.
Of course there are many pros for the algae scrubbers too but I won't go there.

Yes, trace element consumption will be different with carbon dosing.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 146 60.3%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 27.7%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 35.1%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • Other

Votes: 66 27.3%
Back