Algae scrubber ideas

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green hair algae is starting to die off but this will be a long process, I can tell

15825875441232731126838372162233.jpg 15825875737275846157541629686357.jpg

OP
OP
K

KleineVampir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well just a minute ago I opened up the old algae scrubber (yet again) to see what's going on and let me put it this way: It was like opening up a s'more or taking a slice of pizza! There was algae in there that just stretched when I opened the door. Weird but I took a couple seconds longer to take more of a look and then I just put it back. So hopefully we're finally getting somewhere!

Also I have a theory: 24/7 may work better than you'd think because the growth of algae provides shade to the growth of previous algae that maybe needs a break. Or at the very least, 24/7 is a good way to kick-start your growth in your scrubber, especially in a high nutrient system.

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well just a minute ago I opened up the old algae scrubber (yet again) to see what's going on and let me put it this way: It was like opening up a s'more or taking a slice of pizza! There was algae in there that just stretched when I opened the door. Weird but I took a couple seconds longer to take more of a look and then I just put it back. So hopefully we're finally getting somewhere!

Also I have a theory: 24/7 may work better than you'd think because the growth of algae provides shade to the growth of previous algae that maybe needs a break. Or at the very least, 24/7 is a good way to kick-start your growth in your scrubber, especially in a high nutrient system.

Scrubber Steve came up with the idea for me and it has worked well

OP
OP
K

KleineVampir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well there's definitely an algae mess in there! Not a nice uniform brick but at least we're cooking.

OP
OP
K

KleineVampir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any photos
I think I'm going to actually make a video of cleaning it out since not many videos like that actually exist. The question is, when is the time right? For now I'm checking it at least once a day to see if I can tell when growth starts dropping off. If I feel like it isn't growing it'll be time to clean it out.

OP
OP
K

KleineVampir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy crap guys...it's getting nuts in there. Not just some stringy pieces of algae anymore. The growth is quite substantial at this point. That said I don't think it's quite time. There's still at least 50% of the space in there left.

OP
OP
K

KleineVampir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright. Here's the video of the first harvest. I coulda waited, but...I didn't want to!

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make my own. I am a firm believer in ats. I like do simple waterfall ones that are basically a zip tied mesh with a slot in the pvc and a gate valve. Just T off the return and adjust flow with the gate. I use simple shop lights with the metal reflectors from the hardware store and 40w flourescent bulbs. They grow algae like a mother. Can be made any size for any tank. You can do a stand alone unit from pvc too prob if you have the room in your sump. I can draw one up by hand and take a pic if need be.
D

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe they can be fully submerged yes if provided with an air pump and airstone for upflow. The more flow over the mesh in the submerged water is more likely to catch and start growth. Not a lot of flow but a nice steady flow or upstream of airbubbles or flow. I think skimmers airate enough.
D

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 57 54.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.6%
Back