Algae Scrubber Or A Refugium With Chaeto

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are pros and cons to each. I'm currently running a HOB fuge I built, but I've run both the santa montica and CPR in the past. Properly run, they will both work for nutrient export.

On this particular setup, I chose a refugium for the ability to have a refuge for my pods and a physical location for maturing frag plugs.

OP
OP
ZoaAddiction81

ZoaAddiction81

Nems And More Nems
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info I’m leaning towards a refugium so far. I feel since i started using Red Sea Reef Energy A&B my sand started to break out with cyano and brown algae on the glass I need to get some nutrients back out. I’ve been dosing less than what they said seems to work but not worth the algae breakout..

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's very possible that it's your nutrients. I would test the levels of your phosphate and nitrate. Either a refugium or scrubber should be able to help bring those down, although make sure you've considered other nutrient export methods- pick the one that works best for your tank, your budget, and your enjoyment :)

lordraptor1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
scrubber imho, i had a fuge with cheato and cheato didnt grow and hair algae started popping up in the DT. i still have the cheato in a fuge but it is still as it was on day one, however i added an algae scrubber 4 weeks ago ( as of the upcoming monday) and the hair algae in the dt is almost gone, cyano bacteria is staying gone now ( long story short i started my tank with dr tims one and only and got cyano on day 2 which just kept multiplying forcing the use of cyano rx). in just 5 days the algae in my turbo aquatics l2 rev 4 is already covering the screen. i will say that to date though nitrates are still at 160PPM according to my personal test kit and petcos test strips so im thinking of letting the turf scrubber go a little longer before harvest

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.6%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 156 67.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back