Algae Scrubber Shedding Algae into DT - Thoughts?

NJBillyV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks,

So like it says, I DIY'd an algae scrubber that sits in my sump and uses a long air stone to push water over my algae mesh sheets.

It's been growing a small amount of algae on the sheets, like a brownish slime of algae. Recently I've had to remove the scrubber from the sump for various reasons and as I picked it up I noticed a cloud of algae particles were released from the scrubber into the sump. Is that normal?

Based on what I've seen I'm afraid that the scrubber is shedding these same algae particles under normal operation. I sure don't want to intentionally grow algae in the scrubber only to have it seed my DT.

Anyone have this problem?? Any advice? The scrubber works well but if it shedding algae that's obviously a problem.

Thanks, you guys rock!

GeoSquid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The algae can collect a lot of detritus and this may be what you see floating off. If your losing algae, maybe your screen is not rough enough or you need to clean it more often.

FBAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First question I would ask. What material is your screen made of? What are your current Nitrate and Phosphate levels? What kind of lighting spectrum are you using and whats the light cycle time? I agree with GeoSquid it could be detritus your seeing come off.

LardLad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks,

So like it says, I DIY'd an algae scrubber that sits in my sump and uses a long air stone to push water over my algae mesh sheets.

It's been growing a small amount of algae on the sheets, like a brownish slime of algae. Recently I've had to remove the scrubber from the sump for various reasons and as I picked it up I noticed a cloud of algae particles were released from the scrubber into the sump. Is that normal?

Based on what I've seen I'm afraid that the scrubber is shedding these same algae particles under normal operation. I sure don't want to intentionally grow algae in the scrubber only to have it seed my DT.

Anyone have this problem?? Any advice? The scrubber works well but if it shedding algae that's obviously a problem.

Thanks, you guys rock!

LardLad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks,

Thanks, you guys rock!
I have the exact same problem. There is definitely a bunch of cryptic filth associated with the algae itself. It tends to hold onto a lot of detritus and crap. if you really think about it that's what it's supposed to be doing so it's sort of a secondary benefit. What I have found is that when I take it out to clean it approximately once every 7 to 10 days I will pull the membrane out and then do an immediate partial water change from that area Target on my suction in that area. For example I may pull it out in my case in an AIO compartment with all the pumps off and siphon out that compartment then refill that ends up being a 10% water change for me. Either way I've been running this now for 3 months or so and I will never go back. And some is unavoidably blown into the display but has yet to be a problem. It is really offset by the amount of garbage that it catches. Another Advantage is that this has really promoted more small water changes in my reef.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back