Algae scrubber with no sump

H2Orchard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for an algae scrubber but I don't have a sump. 33 gallon tank. What are my options? It's in my family room so would like something really quiet.

scottedontknow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh boy. It would have to be above the DT and have a pump push water up to it and let it gravity fall back to the DT

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps a macroalgae (chaeto) reactor such as Arrid or Tunze? Or a DIY knockoff?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm looking for an algae scrubber but I don't have a sump. 33 gallon tank. What are my options? It's in my family room so would like something really quiet.

A Santa Monica upflow algae scrubber may work.

@SantaMonica

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Above the tank is your only option of course.
If you have the bottom edge of the scrubber screen sitting just touching, or just below the surface of the tank water there will be zero splashing sound. & your fish will be able to dine on the growing algae.

OP
OP
H2Orchard

H2Orchard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Above the tank is your only option of course.
If you have the bottom edge of the scrubber screen sitting just touching, or just below the surface of the tank water there will be zero splashing sound. & your fish will be able to dine on the growing algae.
Do you have any suggestions of one?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at their website but all of the options were confusing. Do you have a suggestion of one?
The size of a scrubber is based on the square inch surface area of the screen the algae grows on, & how much you feed your tank on a daily basis in cubes equivalent. Sounds a bit confusing at first, but it's actually very simple.

OP
OP
H2Orchard

H2Orchard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The size of a scrubber is based on the square inch surface area of the screen the algae grows on, & how much you feed your tank on a daily basis in cubes equivalent. Sounds a bit confusing at first, but it's actually very simple.
Right now I'm feeding flakes. About 2 pinches a day. The lfs said not to feed frozen because then that's all the fish would eat. Not sure if that's true or not though.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nobody is going to suggest incorporating a sump into his setup? It will help solve MANY problems

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I looked there but it was hard to determine which one of those can go in the DT and what I would need.

I tagged @SantaMonica so hopefully they will respond at some point or you can reach out to them directly on their website or PM them here on R2R. Good luck!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back