algae scrubber

madlos123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So icecap algae scrubber is on sale right now.
My question is wise to buy that one because i read there was some design problems ie, water splashing, leakage, plumbing issues (metric), holes, and lid warping.

Or they updated and resolve those issues?
Or are they selling the old unit because a new model is coming out soon?

Thanks.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw that Icecap and went with the Santa Monica Rain2 because of those concerns on reviews I read. Just seems like a better design to me...simpler, please easy to add on lights if your system increases load.

OP
OP
madlos123

madlos123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw that Icecap and went with the Santa Monica Rain2 because of those concerns on reviews I read. Just seems like a better design to me...simpler, please easy to add on lights if your system increases load.
How is your rain2 doing? What size of aquarium do you have, any details? Thanks

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just starting with it and waiting on results - looks good so far. 40 gallons. I took out my skimmer (not enough room for both, but the GHA was just taking over tank so trying this out to see if it can out compete. I'll post significant update to build thread in couple weeks once I have some time with it.

OP
OP
madlos123

madlos123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man why the Rain2 is 350 while rain4 is 800? Why so expensive lol

OP
OP
madlos123

madlos123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried DIY these style? Im guessing like a plastic trashcan? the problem might be just waterproof led?

OP
OP
madlos123

madlos123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No im just going to diy it with glass sheet at menards. They are $3 a piece for a 8x10. I already got the drill bit and glass cutter so why not try it

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did...put it in last week. Here's a link to my install of the RAIN2 and here's the current status.

It might be a little pricey, but those LEDs are waterproof, come with an excellent heat sink and it's well built and well considered (one power supply for all 4 (I only have 2) LEDs so there's a low voltage in your sump plus just unplug if you don't want all the lights. Plus, I've sent two emails on questions/parts to Santa-Monica, received prompt response and was satisfied.

To be honest, I thought maybe I could just buy the lights and the screen with holder and just put a box around it. I suppose I could've but after it sat in the back bedroom for a month... thought just buy the cover and stand. Now I wish I'd done it all at once and saved a bit...but live and learn.

Jury is still out and I'm not singing and dancing just yet. But I cleaned the rest of algae out from my tank today and it's much easier to remove and looked less healthy.

R33fDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No im just going to diy it with glass sheet at menards. They are $3 a piece for a 8x10. I already got the drill bit and glass cutter so why not try it
This is probably the best one on the market and it's pretty affordable. What sold me east the full spectrum lights, dimming switch that's touch enabled, blacked out, bigger screen size and low profile. Dude even makes a stand that fits it perfectly.

I have it and it's amazing and out performs those rain scrubbers.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried DIY these style? Im guessing like a plastic trashcan? the problem might be just waterproof led?
Yea I did a DiY. Make sure the exit drain is bigger then your screen pipe.
I used a 3/4 inch output and needed a 1 inch drain.
I put a valve on the drain to control the water level inside the scrubber.
The tricky part in my experience is getting the right LEDs. I tried a few and ultimately never found one I liked. Tho algae grew every week, the algae was dark in color. I tested it out for a year. It did well bottoming out my phosphates but my nitrates never fell below 20.

R33fDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae from my scrubber is an extremely bright green and my fish love it.
20210612_141132.jpg
20210612_145905.jpg

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 62.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back