Algae Scrubber

Jblaine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a reef tank setup that has a total of 90 gallons of water volume. Was thinking about purchasing a Clearwater Algae Scrubber. Was looking at the CW-50 which is good for 60-100 gallons or the CW-100 which is good 120-200 gallons. I am assuming that I should not over size it but wasn’t sure if the CW-50 would be to small. Please let me know if you can.
thanks

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oversizing, within reason, isn’t an issue. You could always cut back on light time

TexanCanuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In direct answer to your question, I would go for the larger unit (assuming you have the space).

My logic here is that while you can always "dial down" the unit (by either/both reducing the photoperiod or flow rate through the scrubber), if the smaller unit doesn't have the capacity to control nutrients you are looking for then you are stuck

TexanCanuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't mind unrelated commentary, how committed are you to using an external turf scrubber? If this is just about nutrient control, there are other (and easier) ways to go about this. Have you tried carbon dosing? It is a low-cost and simple addition to your weekly routine that doesn't have to involve adding new hardware. Also, if you have a refugium you can also improve nutrient export by fine-tuning it rather than add new hardware.

Just speaking from experience, I spent a ton of time and money on all kinds of new equipment trying to solve high nitrates and phosphates over the years until I had a friend explain carbon dosing to me ... I started with NOPOX and my nitrates plummeted in a week ... I've since disconnected and removed all the extra hardware, saved myself a ton of maintenance, and have a more stable system. I look back now and regret all the cash I wasted on gizmos I didn't need.

Food for thought.

OP
OP
Jblaine

Jblaine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't mind unrelated commentary, how committed are you to using an external turf scrubber? If this is just about nutrient control, there are other (and easier) ways to go about this. Have you tried carbon dosing? It is a low-cost and simple addition to your weekly routine that doesn't have to involve adding new hardware. Also, if you have a refugium you can also improve nutrient export by fine-tuning it rather than add new hardware.

Just speaking from experience, I spent a ton of time and money on all kinds of new equipment trying to solve high nitrates and phosphates over the years until I had a friend explain carbon dosing to me ... I started with NOPOX and my nitrates plummeted in a week ... I've since disconnected and removed all the extra hardware, saved myself a ton of maintenance, and have a more stable system. I look back now and regret all the cash I wasted on gizmos I didn't need.

Food for thought.
Thank you for the reply. I have started carbon dosing to help nutrient control. I haven’t had any luck with cheto but can grow turf and hair algae in sump.‍That’s why I was thinking about trying a scrubber. I was hoping it would contain more algae in the scrubber then in the sump

Last edited:
Back