Algae

alexytman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been doing my nitrogen cycle and I notice quite a lot of algae in my rocks... what does it mean? do I have to do anything?

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long is your cycle running , is it diatom Bloom , or green hair algae .. this will determine what stage your at , but don't worry it's all paar the course ... have you got your clean up crew in yet ?? It's usually diatoms first then green hair algae then the cycle is finished ..

OP
OP
alexytman

alexytman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long is your cycle running , is it diatom Bloom , or green hair algae .. this will determine what stage your at , but don't worry it's all paar the course ... have you got your clean up crew in yet ?? It's usually diatoms first then green hair algae then the cycle is finished ..
I have quite a decent amount of diatom (covering all my rocks) and small patches of green algae that kinda looks like hair. (patches aleast 1cm by 1cm each)

OP
OP
alexytman

alexytman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haven't added cleanup crew, when should I?

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok nice ,, your cycle is going good then .. what are your parameters , ammonia, nitrite , nitrate , if your ammonia and nitrite are 0 and nitrate is reading high (20-50ppm) you can do a water change and add your cuc and or a fish IMO ..

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haven't added cleanup crew, when should I?
How big is your tank ?
Tank parameters?
Do you have a sump ?
Are you running a skimmer ?
Try to provide as much info as you can in your initial posts or questions .. the more info you provide the quicker and easier it is to provide an answer ..

OP
OP
alexytman

alexytman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok nice ,, your cycle is going good then .. what are your parameters , ammonia, nitrite , nitrate , if your ammonia and nitrite are 0 and nitrate is reading high (20-50ppm) you can do a water change and add your cuc and or a fish IMO ..
It think ammonia is pretty much 0 but there are still a decent amount of nitrite, my nitrate is around 20ppm kinda. I've been starting it for basically 2 weeks and I used live rock etc and beneficial bacteria

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your running a skimmer you can blow the diatoms using a turkey Bastor gently and your skimmer will help remove it ..

OP
OP
alexytman

alexytman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank ?
Tank parameters?
Do you have a sump ?
Are you running a skimmer ?
Try to provide as much info as you can in your initial posts or questions .. the more info you provide the quicker and easier it is to provide an answer ..
45gal
ammonia It was like 1 last time checked, don't remember nitrite nitrate about 20ppm, salin is 0.025
no sump
running wavemaker, filter, skimmer, heater

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok check your ammonia is at 0 and your nitrite also at 0 if it is you can add cuc

OP
OP
alexytman

alexytman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok check your ammonia is at 0 and your nitrite also at 0 if it is you can add cuc
I as the noobie, have a question, I have what I think are feather dusters (searched on google exactly are the same) on my live rock. It opened up first time ever, my first question. Are they bad? I heard peppermint shrimp eat them and I was planning to get one so that's a plus.
Second, what does that say about my water quality? does having feather dusters mean my water is bad? Also, do they filter the water (heard it somewhere idk where)

Thank you for your replies, you made my day!

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feather dusters imo are good I have a few in my tank , they are filter feeders , if they are open I would say that's a good sign of your water .. and I think peppermint shrimp eat aptasia not feather dusters but I could be wrong !!
And your welcome .. glad I could help in some small way !! Happy reefing .. !!!

OP
OP
alexytman

alexytman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feather dusters imo are good I have a few in my tank , they are filter feeders , if they are open I would say that's a good sign of your water .. and I think peppermint shrimp eat aptasia not feather dusters but I could be wrong !!
And your welcome .. glad I could help in some small way !! Happy reefing .. !!!
THANKS YOU'RE A GREAT HELP, I WAS SCARED FOR A MINUTE! Thank you so much, this is the best forum ever, with such nice people like you around ^_^ You make the world a better place! ;p

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow ! Thankyou .. just remember never panic .. have patience ( lots of it) ... and never be afraid too ask questions .. no matter how dumb you think they are .. it's better too ask 20 times , than too panic and do something wrong ,
Where are you from ?? I live in Holland ..

OP
OP
alexytman

alexytman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow ! Thankyou .. just remember never panic .. have patience ( lots of it) ... and never be afraid too ask questions .. no matter how dumb you think they are .. it's better too ask 20 times , than too panic and do something wrong ,
Where are you from ?? I live in Holland ..
I'm from Hong Kong, fishes here are a lot cheaper. (of course don't pick the cheapest fishes bcuz they're normally weaker) but it's great here
Though I'm not so good at Chinese ;p

Back