Algagen Pods Question(s)

DSmithZ28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was at a LFS and bought some Algagen Pods and noticed that the date was 8/22/17 and has a 4 week expiration date. I dumped them in with the wavemaker off and did not notice anything "squiggling" around. Granted I have poor eyesight but shouldn't I have seen something move? Also does anyone know what the algae they include in the bag is? Is Chaeto or anything beneficial? I put it in my fuge and it looks kinda black and sank to the bottom. I haven't turned on the grow lights yet but have them.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was at a LFS and bought some Algagen Pods and noticed that the date was 8/22/17 and has a 4 week expiration date. I dumped them in with the wavemaker off and did not notice anything "squiggling" around. Granted I have poor eyesight but shouldn't I have seen something move? Also does anyone know what the algae they include in the bag is? Is Chaeto or anything beneficial? I put it in my fuge and it looks kinda black and sank to the bottom. I haven't turned on the grow lights yet but have them.
I'd get a refund :(

WesleyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you already dump them in the fuge, not much you can do now.

I was going to say put them in a containing. Don't put any chaeto in there. If the water is greenish color, they might have phyto in there. Give it some light and some big but slow bubble to keep the water moving. And they may have a chance.

OP
OP
DSmithZ28

DSmithZ28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya dumped the Pods already so I'm screwed and I bought them in Tennessee and I live in Mississippi. All I have for 120 miles in any direction is the worst Petco in the chain. It was only 18 bucks not a huge loss. I will place an order to Algae Barn tomorrow. But I should be able to see the copepods correct?

WesleyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, you can see some tiny dot moving in the water under bright light. Some look like swimming a bit and fall down, and some move in stoking motion. After they are temperature acclimated to the normal temperature and waking up that is.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya dumped the Pods already so I'm screwed and I bought them in Tennessee and I live in Mississippi. All I have for 120 miles in any direction is the worst Petco in the chain. It was only 18 bucks not a huge loss. I will place an order to Algae Barn tomorrow. But I should be able to see the copepods correct?
Yep. You can actually see them in the bag moving around. Highly recommend Algae Barn. I feel your pain. The only place around me for 90 miles in Petco - ugh.

OP
OP
DSmithZ28

DSmithZ28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. You can actually see them in the bag moving around. Highly recommend Algae Barn. I feel your pain. The only place around me for 90 miles in Petco - ugh.
Yep just placed my order yesterday. Need to hurry before I get fish in there. Like to get them seeded before the pod assassins are turned loose. Got some Chaeto too.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep just placed my order yesterday. Need to hurry before I get fish in there. Like to get them seeded before the pod assassins are turned loose. Got some Chaeto too.
Reef Cleaners has nice chaeto that comes from their system that has no fish in it. So the chance of getting ich and other fish disease is extremely small. Cheers!

OP
OP
DSmithZ28

DSmithZ28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I went to the Algagen website and it is all in chinese but I think it comes with Chaeto in it so I may have salved something out of the $20 bucks I lost.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 37 31.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.2%
Back