Algea on sandbed

smarcuscofer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of algea grow into the sand bed it's like mats it's clumpy and heavy and takes the sand with it my syphon gets clogged or leaves it behind I've been doing it out but it's taking slot of sand with it I'm worried to much is coming out i have had some changes around the house and at work and have had less time to do my maintenance and entered into a lazy reefer syndrome type situation not to mention many set backs on the coral keeping front that were discouraging I think I was reaching to far for a first tank and was trying to make a20 gallons cube starter thing into a perfect forever tank if I could get rid of this algea or cuando or whatever and just keep a couple of simple soft corals I would be happy I have a clown a crab and 3 snails and a toadstool that have been happy for about a year the tank is a little over 2 years I just want my tank clean

OP
OP
S

smarcuscofer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
16583348007981518490426597312755.jpg
16583348398934961407459381435418.jpg
16583350251583990081346821453369.jpg

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of algea grow into the sand bed it's like mats it's clumpy and heavy and takes the sand with it my syphon gets clogged or leaves it behind I've been doing it out but it's taking slot of sand with it I'm worried to much is coming out i have had some changes around the house and at work and have had less time to do my maintenance and entered into a lazy reefer syndrome type situation not to mention many set backs on the coral keeping front that were discouraging I think I was reaching to far for a first tank and was trying to make a20 gallons cube starter thing into a perfect forever tank if I could get rid of this algea or cuando or whatever and just keep a couple of simple soft corals I would be happy I have a clown a crab and 3 snails and a toadstool that have been happy for about a year the tank is a little over 2 years I just want my tank clean
From your pictures I think you just need to get out of this 'lazy stage' time to get hands on/ in to sort this out, it's not a massive amount of algae and you can clear in a couple of days with effort,
(clean out filters to help remove particles) start with algae scrapers to remove spiroids from glass, scrub any algae off rocks with a soft toothbrush and suck up or grab as much ' carpet algae/anything you can with fingers and a net to collect bigger floating pieces (always gloves), clean out filters then repeat daily, you can even do a section at a time :)

OP
OP
S

smarcuscofer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From your pictures I think you just need to get out of this 'lazy stage' time to get hands on/ in to sort this out, it's not a massive amount of algae and you can clear in a couple of days with effort,
(clean out filters to help remove particles) start with algae scrapers to remove spiroids from glass, scrub any algae off rocks with a soft toothbrush and suck up or grab as much ' carpet algae/anything you can with fingers and a net to collect bigger floating pieces (always gloves), clean out filters then repeat daily, you can even do a section at a time :)
I've been trying to get in the routine again of weekly water changes and clean up it was covering the tank but I've removed probably 2/3 of it grows back fast I used to try not to put my hands in it so much because my job puts in contact with lots of things that don't belong in a tank I wash my hands before I go in but I still worry so when you say gloves you mean rubber gloves or those big arm gloves I see people with

Tiki_Reef

My daily driver is a nano.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would consider boosting your CUC up a few more snails, blue legs, emeralds, etc can put a dent in a algae outbreak sometimes to the point that you can get ahead of it. What do your parameters look like?

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 111 57.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 56 29.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 68 35.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 33 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 58 30.2%
Back