Algea scrubber

unchaotic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CUC would free up nutrients stuck in the DT and release waste that would make it to your scrubber.

Homemade or purchased scrubber? I don't know about the retail units but in a lot of DIY plans they use that plastic mesh and if it isn't roughed up enough it will take a while for the algae to get a grip and grow on it.

OP
OP
Screwgunner

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CUC would free up nutrients stuck in the DT and release waste that would make it to your scrubber.

Homemade or purchased scrubber? I don't know about the retail units but in a lot of DIY plans they use that plastic mesh and if it isn't roughed up enough it will take a while for the algae to get a grip and grow on it.
DIY yes I used a whole saw it was new and very sharp. I probably over did it . I have 2 10 x 12 screens but they are only lit on one side.

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DIY yes I used a whole saw it was new and very sharp. I probably over did it . I have 2 10 x 12 screens but they are only lit on one side.
What kind of light do you have? I used a DIY one with light on one side and it worked for me alright but I needed a bright light. I tried a CFL first and it did work a little but not awesome. How is the flow too? I initially had my flow up too high I think, I lowered it a bit so it was a more gentle flow and algae grew very fast.
I don't recall ever growing tons of gha in mine. Mostly slime algae but it was fast growing and did the job so I didn't complain.

OP
OP
Screwgunner

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using the 100 watt equivalent led in 3k spectrum x's 2 . That is the same thing I have been getting a brown and red matt with slime. As far as flow 400 to 500 gph on each screen. They are about 10 inches wide.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's pretty much how it went for me and my DIY scrubber, first few months nothing but brown sludge and after about 3 or 4 months I had to harvest algae every week. Yesterday I pulled close to 3/4 of a pound from it although I now harvest less frequently about every two to three weeks.
Best $30 I spent!!!

OP
OP
Screwgunner

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You better believe it . It almost makes it fool proof . I stopped doing water changes . Add trace and keep an eye on alk. and cal. ,mag. PH. So far everything looks good. It just has to grow into a bunch of pretty colors.

OP
OP
Screwgunner

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LED,s in the white will not grow hair algea menards has a 40 watt grow light that is led but red some green and a couple blues. It grow green hair algea like crazy. It is a large bulb.

OP
OP
Screwgunner

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40 watt to strong got a 29 watt red led grow light from menards it is the same as a regular bulb but bigger. 40 watt is really big.

OP
OP
Screwgunner

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have green hair and a spiral looking algea. Growing very good. I clean one of the 2 screens once every other week. My phosphates are .005 nitrates are 4.4 two days ago nitrates were 4.95 . Got neophose on the way just ordered 2 bottles of it. Want to get my phosphates to .03 .05 . So far tank looks good. Small amount of dinos still . .

Back