Algee identification?

Xxflounderxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some help with this algae at least i think its algae not sure what it is.

20201128_180648.jpg

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see some green gha at the top, some maroon cyano near the bottom. The white stuff actually looks like a sponge possibly. Does the white stuff feel spongy and not blow off the rocks with a turkey baster?

How old is the tank? Parameters?

OP
OP
Xxflounderxx

Xxflounderxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some help with this algae at least i think its algae not sure what it is.

20201128_180648.jpg

I see some green gha at the top, some maroon cyano near the bottom. The white stuff actually looks like a sponge possibly. Does the white stuff feel spongy and not blow off the rocks with a turkey baster?

Nitrate 15pmm
Phosphate. 05ppm
Ph 8.2
Alk 9.6

I think they are pineapple spoungees the white dots. Just not what the brown stuff is does blow right off and clogs up the wavemakers this is a fish only tank

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrate 15pmm
Phosphate. 05ppm
Ph 8.2
Alk 9.6

I think they are pineapple spoungees the white dots. Just not what the brown stuff is does blow right off and clogs up the wavemakers this is a fish only tank
I don't think the white stuff is actually pineapple sponges... there are no definite tube like shapes to it. it looks more like a lattice-type growing sponge all over the rock work to me.

Parameters look good but the cyano presence indicates that maybe the parameters are fluctuating a bit out of balance.

OP
OP
Xxflounderxx

Xxflounderxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20201128_180648.jpg

Nitrate 15pmm
Phosphate. 05ppm
Ph 8.2
Alk 9.6

I think they are pineapple spoungees the white dots. Just not what the brown stuff is does blow right off and clogs up the wavemakers this is a

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My gut reaction was sponges also.

@Xxflounderxx there are thousands of species of sponges. It is definitely not a pineapple sponge, but looks like a different species to me. As far as I know, most are beneficial as they just filter junk from the water column.

OP
OP
Xxflounderxx

Xxflounderxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My gut reaction was sponges also.

@Xxflounderxx there are thousands of species of sponges. It is definitely not a pineapple sponge, but looks like a different species to me. As far as I know, most are beneficial as they just filter junk from the water column.
What about the brown looking algae?

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are talking about the brown stuff that almost looks like sand all over the rocks, that's what I'm looking at. It looks like it has more structure to it than algae would have. I did try to find a similar sponge for comparison, but could not find anything. So it may be something else.

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The brown stuff looks the exact same structure as the white stuff at the top of the picture... just a little different color to it. May be different due to lighting or flow... but the structures look the same.

OP
OP
Xxflounderxx

Xxflounderxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The brown stuff looks the exact same structure as the white stuff at the top of the picture... just a little different color to it. May be different due to lighting or flow... but the structures look the same.
Any idea what is is though? Or how to get rid of it it blows right off and then clouds the tank the tank is 2 years old

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea what is is though? Or how to get rid of it it blows right off and then clouds the tank the tank is 2 years old
Sponges shouldn't blow off the rocks easily. If it is completely blowing off the rocks and leaving nothing but rock underneath, then this must be something else...which I'm not sure what it might be. But, to start removing it...siphon it off the rocks into a small-micron filter sock that allows the water to return back to the sump. This should help to remove as much as possible. Possibly, if you can do this a few times, then it might minimize it in the tank where other algeas will outcompete it. Keep us posted...

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could it just be detritus? The bottom of my sump collects stuff like that.

OP
OP
Xxflounderxx

Xxflounderxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all I will add a few more wavemakers and siphon off the rocks and go from there

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back