AliE LED bar vs. T5

mlivvy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread led me (no pun) to discover luca, quanta bars, and telegraham on youtube. Thanks for the 2 day deep dive of led bar knowledge. I did email luca wondering if the quantum bars could be dimmable and his reply was golden..

1647509116448.png

such a perfect bar imo just hate that you can't dim them. I spoke to the aliexpress seller about dimming their bars and they had no info to help with that.

1647509392077.png

If we can get the aliexpress bars to dim 0-10v then that would probably be the best value and bar option out there.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread led me (no pun) to discover luca, quanta bars, and telegraham on youtube. Thanks for the 2 day deep dive of led bar knowledge. I did email luca wondering if the quantum bars could be dimmable and his reply was golden..

1647509116448.png

such a perfect bar imo just hate that you can't dim them. I spoke to the aliexpress seller about dimming their bars and they had no info to help with that.

1647509392077.png

If we can get the aliexpress bars to dim 0-10v then that would probably be the best value and bar option out there.
Normally these bars are dimmable by changing the driver.
That is like a $40 "add on" though.
Catch is getting the orig specs and matching it.
Sometimes one can only get close not exact.

They build them to odd specs compared to readily available drivers
Biggest compromise is current. The replacement driver is sometimes lower, sometimes higher.
If by chance they use Meanwell drivers it's almost guaranteed you can find the dimmable replacement.

If they use constant voltage as a drive method, as long as the voltage is 24v or less it's pretty easy to find a dimmer/ programmer
Gets a bit tricky here because 10 v analog dimming is not the common control protocol for the common controller :)

Anyways the power brick tells a lot about what is and is not possible.
One cosmetic catch, finding matching plugs or splicing wires.

wrassie86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@oreo5457 I'm pretty sure it was determined that the popbloom bars from 24inch to 48 inch came with the same ballasts, I have 24 inch and 48 inch and have noticed the 24 inch is brighter and slightly different color blue than the 48 inch Is this possible? the 24 inch and 36 inch would have a little more output than the 48. I have multiple bars so it is possible I've plugged a 24 inch into a 48 inch ballast, but I'm pretty sure the specs were the same on all my ballast. The ballast are mounted on the back of my canopy so hard to get at. but hope to have it down in a few days.​

telegraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1647509116448.png

1647509392077.png

If ya really really want to, replacing the drivers with dimmable is possible. BUT...when I have bars mounted with main lights, I ramp the mains up, then power on the bars. That lets you run the mains lower. Then I power off the bars, then ramp down the mains. No dimming required.

I have a populargrow bar on a dimming driver but disconnected the 0-10. Decided that was an unnecessary complication.

LgTas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Populargrow did my +-60 cm bar. I customised my LED type and placement and added on a bluetooth module to dim the bar (it doesn't have channel dimming, just dims all LED's equally). Hope that helps

1648002886425.png

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my tank is 6x2x2 currently have some easy sps and some lps softies euyphilias as well getting rid of all the east and goin full blown sps i have 3 g5 pros was thining t5 hybrid but dont want to be changing bulbs every 9 months so figure this would be a good alternative what would be a good mix i run the ab+ program on my g5s

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
my tank is 6x2x2 currently have some easy sps and some lps softies euyphilias as well getting rid of all the east and goin full blown sps i have 3 g5 pros was thining t5 hybrid but dont want to be changing bulbs every 9 months so figure this would be a good alternative what would be a good mix i run the ab+ program on my g5s
XR15 or XR30? Blue or Pro?

I would suggest that you map out the par numbers first and then add supplemental lights. Some LFS will rent par meters. Mine did for $10 a day.

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have 3 xr30 pros
I would be surprised if you need any more light for a mixed reef. Orient the light front to back and that might give you all the coverage you need.

I run an XR15 Blue over tank. The AliE bar I ordered was alternating 420nm and 470nm LEDs to fill out the blue spectrum. I believe that is a good choice while running the radions on AB+. If I am to do it again, I would go with 420nm, 470nm and cool while as my tank is a tad bit too blue for my preference (I am getting used to it and do not notice it as much any more).

Troyer15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're 32s are great lights, but could use some complimentary spectrum to fill in the spectrum gaps. That's something you can't do with T5, and you'll appreciate the AliE bar's added intensity. I don't dim the bars, and instead dim my main lights to compensate. No need to dim the bars, and be sure to check PAR readings to get the balance right.

As for custom, you already have strong 450 and 470nm with your AIs. I'd order a custome 420/430nm every other bar, and I'm guessing you'd be very pleased with the outcome. If you want three diodes, go 420/230/450. I recommend no more than three spectrums on a bar.

Hope that helps.

Jim
Im running 2 Hydra 32s as well and looking at adding 2 AliE bars. I do run diffusers on my hrydras now, if i get the bars should i continue to use the diffusers or no?

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as my tank is mixed I plan on goin full blown sps dominant that was my reason for asking what combination should I go with the bars

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No truer words.. ;)
Well first minutes at where I linked the vid to.
Rest is open to interpretation..

Last edited:

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Populargrow did my +-60 cm bar. I customised my LED type and placement and added on a bluetooth module to dim the bar (it doesn't have channel dimming, just dims all LED's equally). Hope that helps

1648002886425.png
give us an update on how the lights look once they arrive!

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my quanta pros yesterday. First impressions, they are solid! Really well built and only plugged them in to look at the intensity and spectrum. Very impressed so far, only downside as other people have mentioned is the lack of availability to dim...

DavidinGA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The AliE bars are kind of a secret gem. I've watched Telegram also. My only hang up with all of the bars, is you can't easily dim them. But neither can T5s. I'd get the led bars. You probably saw that you can request different leds, i.e. the blue bar is 470 nm, you can ask for 450 nm royal blue to be mixed in for a few extra dollars.

The new bars are now dimmable with bluetooth now it looks like:

telegraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back