AliE LED bar vs. T5

Foxchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i have 2 hydra 32s over my 40b. I want to add some more lighting at the back of the tank are the top of the rock work for some acros. (I don't wanna mess with my current set up bc everything else is pretty happy).

I'm debating between the AliE led bar (telegraham and inappropriate reefer have posted videos showing they're decent)
Or a diy single bulb T5 HO fixture from Amazon. (maybe get 2 and turn my lights into a hybrid fixture).

Anybody have any thoughts? Pros and cons for both?

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The AliE bars are kind of a secret gem. I've watched Telegram also. My only hang up with all of the bars, is you can't easily dim them. But neither can T5s. I'd get the led bars. You probably saw that you can request different leds, i.e. the blue bar is 470 nm, you can ask for 450 nm royal blue to be mixed in for a few extra dollars.

telegraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i have 2 hydra 32s over my 40b. I want to add some more lighting at the back of the tank are the top of the rock work for some acros. (I don't wanna mess with my current set up bc everything else is pretty happy).

I'm debating between the AliE led bar (telegraham and inappropriate reefer have posted videos showing they're decent)
Or a diy single bulb T5 HO fixture from Amazon. (maybe get 2 and turn my lights into a hybrid fixture).

You're 32s are great lights, but could use some complimentary spectrum to fill in the spectrum gaps. That's something you can't do with T5, and you'll appreciate the AliE bar's added intensity. I don't dim the bars, and instead dim my main lights to compensate. No need to dim the bars, and be sure to check PAR readings to get the balance right.

As for custom, you already have strong 450 and 470nm with your AIs. I'd order a custome 420/430nm every other bar, and I'm guessing you'd be very pleased with the outcome. If you want three diodes, go 420/230/450. I recommend no more than three spectrums on a bar.

Hope that helps.

Jim

Monkeysreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're 32s are great lights, but could use some complimentary spectrum to fill in the spectrum gaps. That's something you can't do with T5, and you'll appreciate the AliE bar's added intensity. I don't dim the bars, and instead dim my main lights to compensate. No need to dim the bars, and be sure to check PAR readings to get the balance right.

As for custom, you already have strong 450 and 470nm with your AIs. I'd order a custome 420/430nm every other bar, and I'm guessing you'd be very pleased with the outcome. If you want three diodes, go 420/230/450. I recommend no more than three spectrums on a bar.

Hope that helps.

Jim
I picked up one of the alie 36" bars to play with after watching your videos on them. I currently have it over a tank but would like to change the spectrum a bit I have done a bit of research on the watt and style diode to get and keep coming up empty. Would you be able to point me in the right direction? I would really like to get the parts here before I take it down and pull it apart. Also what spectrum would you recommend at the moment it will be complementing a 4 buld t5 2× blue+ 1x coral+ 1×actinic. I was thinking adding 450 and 420 in a 123123 pattern. Thank you for your time and everything you do for this hobby!!

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up one of the alie 36" bars to play with after watching your videos on them. I currently have it over a tank but would like to change the spectrum a bit I have done a bit of research on the watt and style diode to get and keep coming up empty. Would you be able to point me in the right direction? I would really like to get the parts here before I take it down and pull it apart. Also what spectrum would you recommend at the moment it will be complementing a 4 buld t5 2× blue+ 1x coral+ 1×actinic. I was thinking adding 450 and 420 in a 123123 pattern. Thank you for your time and everything you do for this hobby!!
Well most Chinese based reef lights use "Bridgelux" or "Epistar"Egg type diodes.
Thing is you won't really know for sure till you open it.
For a brief moment some Chinese "black boxes" used more conventional (?) SMD diodes making DIY customization very difficult for most people.
Since it doesn't seem to have caught on universally odds are good that these are just "standard" as mentioned above BUT no guarantee.
With that in mind the diodes are dirt cheap at like ebay.
You'd get them without a pcb (starboard)

It can be kind of a mess and keep in mind they are only referring to the LED "chip" not the complete package.. i.e the thing inside the "egg". The case does matter.

Epistar chip
If the manufacture told you that the chip is from Epistar. Possibly, he was lying to you. Because they actually was using San’an. So, why the manufacture cheat their clients?
It is because most clients will think that Epistar chip is more reliable, but the truth is that San’an chip has the same quality as Epistar chip for general lighting. So, you don’t worry about the quality and stability. Actually, San’an is the biggest led chip manufacture in China mainland.
If you can find a supplier that lists "Lumens/watt" you can roughly determine the quality of the chip inside but not necessarily the quality of the overall diode "package".
Of course that applies to whites but since whites are usually royal blue plus phosphors it gives you an idea of output efficiency.
100L/W is pretty standard in good diodes nowadays.
The specs listed in the ebay link lists efficiency at 199L or less.
If they use the usual "logic" that would be for 3W sooo 66L/watt. Normal for this type of diode.
Oh and one more thing buy plenty at one time to, hopefully, get all the same nm or close since a say 450nm diode can be in a range. I've never seen it too bad in colors but whites are another story

At 10 for $4 well what would you expect and more info than needed but just some FYI as I understand it.

telegraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Chanzon 3W on Amazon work well. I've modified a few lights with them, to include two Reef Brites. Same diodes you'll find in them.

Texasnanoreef345

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hope that helps.

Jim
I have a question for you good sir ! I’ve been ALL watching the live stream replays trying to find the information I seek but I love the light bar you found and I want to add one to my tank that is 48 inches by 24 inches already lit with two ai primes on the ends and a reef breeders 48 inch photon but I feel like I could use some more coral pop spectrum ! My park is around 300 everywhere so I’ll lower down the other lights . My question is should I go with uv like around 290 mixed with 430 ? Strictly for coral pop and less shadowing thanks Jim I really love what you do for the hobby and enjoy watching you show everyone the ways of Jsut simply being awear of where your hard earned Money goes to!

Texasnanoreef345

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well most Chinese based reef lights use "Bridgelux" or "Epistar"Egg type diodes.
Thing is you won't really know for sure till you open it.
For a brief moment some Chinese "black boxes" used more conventional (?) SMD diodes making DIY customization very difficult for most people.
Since it doesn't seem to have caught on universally odds are good that these are just "standard" as mentioned above BUT no guarantee.
With that in mind the diodes are dirt cheap at like ebay.
You'd get them without a pcb (starboard)

It can be kind of a mess and keep in mind they are only referring to the LED "chip" not the complete package.. i.e the thing inside the "egg". The case does matter.

If you can find a supplier that lists "Lumens/watt" you can roughly determine the quality of the chip inside but not necessarily the quality of the overall diode "package".
Of course that applies to whites but since whites are usually royal blue plus phosphors it gives you an idea of output efficiency.
100L/W is pretty standard in good diodes nowadays.
The specs listed in the ebay link lists efficiency at 199L or less.
If they use the usual "logic" that would be for 3W sooo 66L/watt. Normal for this type of diode.
Oh and one more thing buy plenty at one time to, hopefully, get all the same nm or close since a say 450nm diode can be in a range. I've never seen it too bad in colors but whites are another story

At 10 for $4 well what would you expect and more info than needed but just some FYI as I understand it.
Would those diodes in royal blue work to modify the Dodge Viper ? I’ve been looking to do the spinal tap
but I can’t figure out what leds to use
Your a genius j man

telegraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question for you good sir ! I’ve been ALL watching the live stream replays trying to find the information I seek but I love the light bar you found and I want to add one to my tank that is 48 inches by 24 inches already lit with two ai primes on the ends and a reef breeders 48 inch photon but I feel like I could use some more coral pop spectrum ! My park is around 300 everywhere so I’ll lower down the other lights . My question is should I go with uv like around 290 mixed with 430 ? Strictly for coral pop and less shadowing thanks Jim I really love what you do for the hobby and enjoy watching you show everyone the ways of Jsut simply being awear of where your hard earned Money goes to!

Photon V2?

telegraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it’s a v 2 !
I'd say 430/470nm. The V2's spectrum would benifit from those two diodes. The AI lacks 430, but has good 470. 430/470 should compliment well.

1630840959313.png

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
@telegraham I am planning on getting two of these in the 24” size to supplement an XR15 G5 Blue. The current light is only about 8.5” above the waterline. Is that too low for the alie bars for optimum spread? Do they need placed higher as they come with 120 degree lens?

Do you have any spectrum mix suggestion? I am happy with the spectrum that I have now with G5 Blue, but do not want to go any more blue.

I really appreciate your and everyone else’s input. Tank is acro dominant (small frags for now).

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@telegraham I am planning on getting two of these in the 24” size to supplement an XR15 G5 Blue. The current light is only about 8.5” above the waterline. Is that too low for the alie bars for optimum spread? Do they need placed higher as they come with 120 degree lens?

Do you have any spectrum mix suggestion? I am happy with the spectrum that I have now with G5 Blue, but do not want to go any more blue.

I really appreciate your and everyone else’s input. Tank is acro dominant (small frags for now).
At 8.5" you have a single point spot size of approx 30" diameter.

In other words most of the light from one bar at 8.5" lens to water surface, if centered, will fill a 30" tank front to back.
Once in the water refraction/reflections will keep most light in the tank.

Either toe them in a bit if on the sides or switch to 90 degree lenses. Or understand that you will get spill outside the tank.

All depends on the size of the tank and placement of the bars.

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

2 hydra 32s over a 3 foot tank that is 16 inches deep is enough to bleach any coral. There is no need for more light. Check your Par.

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
At 8.5" you have a single point spot size of approx 30" diameter.

In other words most of the light from one bar at 8.5" lens to water surface, if centered, will fill a 30" tank front to back.
Once in the water refraction/reflections will keep most light in the tank.

Either toe them in a bit if on the sides or switch to 90 degree lenses. Or understand that you will get spill outside the tank.

All depends on the size of the tank and placement of the bars.
Thank you for the reply.

I didn’t know that 120 degree lens would give that much spread. According to the calculator, to light up a 24” area, the light needs to be hung at ~7” above the waterline. I plan on 3D printing a mount that will attach to the XR15, so the mounting height is something I can adjust for when designing the mount.

The tank is an IM25 lagoon. Filled with acro frags except for a small rock that has zoas. The XR15 can grow and is growing these frag, but I am trying to eliminate shadows. A single light source definitely creates some shadows in the tank.

Do you have any suggestions on the LED blend that I should order? I don’t want to go bluer than the XR15 G5 Blue.

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the reply.

I didn’t know that 120 degree lens would give that much spread. According to the calculator, to light up a 24” area, the light needs to be hung at ~7” above the waterline. I plan on 3D printing a mount that will attach to the XR15, so the mounting height is something I can adjust for when designing the mount.

The tank is an IM25 lagoon. Filled with acro frags except for a small rock that has zoas. The XR15 can grow and is growing these frag, but I am trying to eliminate shadows. A single light source definitely creates some shadows in the tank.

Do you have any suggestions on the LED blend that I should order? I don’t want to go bluer than the XR15 G5 Blue.

That will give you a significant hot spot more than spread issues. I have 2 Hydra 26s over a Reefer 350 , which is 4 feet and have 180-200 mmoles PAR on the bottom of the tank. That will work for anything but clams.

So I suggest raising the lights to 12”

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
That will give you a significant hot spot more than spread issues. I have 2 Hydra 26s over a Reefer 350 , which is 4 feet and have 180-200 mmoles PAR on the bottom of the tank. That will work for anything but clams.

So I suggest raising the lights to 12”
Did you mean that the alie bars will create hotspots? The XR15 perform best at 8” mounting height.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back