AliExpress A8SE Reef Light

Matt1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
What do I not like about the light? They use larger mounting screws than the radion and the screws do not fit through the mounting brackets for the aquaticlife hybrid fixture. I had to bore the brackets in order to make the light fit.

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to see that it’s working for you guys. I personally don’t think it’s worth it to buy these “knock off” brands. Think about the resale value, warranty, tech support (Ecotech support is very good), software updates, and quality. The price point isn’t there for me to justify taking the risk tbh.

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here is my 6 month review.

I have had the light running on my sps only tank (6 months old) since January of this year. I bought it for $250 USD shipped with a North American power supply. It is as close to a radion as you will ever see. The fans are the same, the lens cover is the same, the housing is near identical with the main difference being the cord runs through the back of this light. The LED count, color and type is the same. I have dissembled my radion G5s to compare components and the only striking difference is the radions run a 10 channel system controlling all colors of leds while the A8 runs 6 and the radion uses Bluetooth connectivity while the A8 uses wifi (will touch more on this).

I currently have the light running beside two g5 XR30 blues and 95% of people would not be able to tell the difference. The color blends perfectly and the par is actually slightly higher than that produced by the radions. The A8 runs a warmer color overall and more closely resembles the pro version of the radion but with minor tweaks in color you can produce the “radion blue” look with very similar par results. With the light set to full intensity I was pushing well over 800 par in the upper parts of the tank. I currently have it set to about 75% blue channels and 20-30% whites and reds and am achieving 600+ par at the top 6” and 150-250 on the bottom 24” down.

Upon first setup I initially struggled with programming the light as it is in Chinese and the English app was not functional at the time. With the help of Google translate and some back and fourth with the supplier I managed to get the Chinese app working while they made improvements to the English app (which is now fully functional). After setup I took the time to create a manual for the light that I provided to the supplier with illustrations on how to program the Chinese app if you only know English. Feel free to reach out and I will provide the document.

As for the connection. I have found it more reliable than the radions Mobius. I have come home many times to my radions being out of schedule, changing times, and only running red/green/individual channels. In all my time with the A8 I only lost connectivity twice. The first time the power went out and the light was running 1h behind schedule until I opened the app and set to current time. The other time the light must have completely lost connectivity and reset to the default 5% on all channels until I reconnected.

Now does it grow coral? Absolutely and oddly enough all my most vivid pieces are underneath the A8.

I have been so impressed with this light that I put my radion G5s up for sale. I figured for the price I sell my G5s for I can purchase about 10 of these lights as they give a discount on 10 units. In all aspects I see that as a win.
Awesome feedback. And just to verify, yours is the A8SE version and not just the A8 correct?

Matt1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
Awesome feedback. And just to verify, yours is the A8SE version and not just the A8 correct?
I believe both are actually the same as it says A8 and A8SE in other locations. The manual and light both say A8. The ad says A8 as well.

Last edited:

Matt1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
Glad to see that it’s working for you guys. I personally don’t think it’s worth it to buy these “knock off” brands. Think about the resale value, warranty, tech support (Ecotech support is very good), software updates, and quality. The price point isn’t there for me to justify taking the risk tbh.
At $250 I would rather go through 5 of these then a single radion. The tech support has been great and the company has responded quickly to every question and issue I had (usually they answer later in day after 8pm). They offer a 1 year warranty on the product.

As for resale value, I would imagine I could get $125-$150 for this light. 50% of purchase price. Even if I get $50 each by the end of its life it’s still less of a hit then buying a single radion G5 for $1500 and struggling to sell it at $700 CDN (my current situation).

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe both are actually the same as it says A8 and A8SE in other locations. The manual and light both say A8. The ad says A8 as well.

The A8 uses Cree LEDs and a Meanwell driver, and it's more expensive. The A8SE uses Chinese LEDs and a Chinese driver, and it's the less expensive of the two options.

For $250, I'd assume you got the A8SE. I've been VERY intrigued by that light. I'm curious to hear your feedback on PAR, app programming, etc.

Matt1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
This is the light I received. It has the A8 sticker and not the A8SE sticker on the side of the light.

1686236983881.jpeg

Matt1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
Hi all,

So I did check the power supply. It was not a meanwell. I did reach out to them and asked about it. The reason they gave me this ballast is because they prioritized the US plug instead of the meanwell with a conversion block and that’s all they had ready to ship.

They are shipping a meanwell power supply with US plug. Just had to pay $20 shipping.

I will likely open up the housing of both power supplies to see the components. I imagine very similar or possibly the same.

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

So I did check the power supply. It was not a meanwell. I did reach out to them and asked about it. The reason they gave me this ballast is because they prioritized the US plug instead of the meanwell with a conversion block and that’s all they had ready to ship.

They are shipping a meanwell power supply with US plug. Just had to pay $20 shipping.

I will likely open up the housing of both power supplies to see the components. I imagine very similar or possibly the same.

I'll be interested to see what you find, but it seems like the light may be a winner either way.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well good luck with that.
Personally.... the only way they would be the same is if the Meanwell was a knockoff.

Besides that check the name brand of the electrolytic capacitors.
Just that can mean the difference between a PS with a 1 yr life and one with a 7 yr life.

Matt1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
Well good luck with that.
Personally.... the only way they would be the same is if the Meanwell was a knockoff.

Besides that check the name brand of the electrolytic capacitors.
Just that can mean the difference between a PS with a 1 yr life and one with a 7 yr life.
Or they used the same manufacturer to make their power supply…

Meanwell is made in China

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or they used the same manufacturer to make their power supply…

Meanwell is made in China
Which is why I mentioned the caps. Same manuf. can easily substitute part brands.

Many Meanwell have 5 to 7 yr warranties.
Mostly accomplished with quality components and/or better thermal management.

There are other name brands with quality parts.

There are a lot of Chinese brands without it.

I am curious as to what you find.

Last edited:

Matt1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
Which is why I mentioned the caps. Same manuf. can easily substitute part brands.

I am not disagreeing with you. Just stating that you can swap different Chinese manu components and have similar quality product. In more cases than not if a product has been made in China there is likely an identical product under 30 different names/sellers.

As mentioned the radion has lost connectivity and acted up more times than this light. this light continues to perform better than the radion at a significantly lower price point. I’m currently working with someone to do spectral graphs on this light compared to radion blue. once all testing is done I’ll be placing my order for 10 more for the 360 gallon.

I can buy an unbranded waterbox tank directly from the manufacturer for half the price. It’s made in the same factory, with the same workers, the same quality glass, same silicone, same warranty, just doesn’t have the massive up charge for having a North American company name slapped on.

there is so much hate around products manufactured in China yet everyone here is happy to use them once a North American brand name is slapped on. If you don’t want to buy the light that’s fine. Just don’t steer others away from doing so in the name of “Chinese garbage” and American made means quality.

Stop getting caught up in having to have the best and shiniest new thing. I can tell you that no one cares and it’s only hurting you. Do what’s best for you.

Matt1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
Saying that meanwe

previous reply not all directed towards you. Just for all following the thread.

Do you know what actions meanwell has taken to ensure their components which are manufactured in China aren’t the same as other unbranded products? Do they own the factory and supply chains? Do they sell to others? Would you assume that only the highest quality components are used in their products based on their word and not based on whatever is most accessible or cheapest? Sure in some places they are a well known name but do you think the rest of the world actually gives a s*** about brand?

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can buy an unbranded waterbox tank directly from the manufacturer for half the price. It’s made in the same factory, with the same workers, the same quality glass, same silicone, same warranty, just doesn’t have the massive up charge for having a North American company name slapped on.

Wait... What?!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back