ALK being absorbed fast

Noobreefer84

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 5, 2024
Messages
46
Reaction score
17
Location
Vancouver
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all

I’m fairly new to keeping sps and curious if my alk consumption seems normal.

I currently 6 sps frags that have all started to encrust mixed with some LPS and a monti cap.

I was getting Alk drop by about 0.2 a day and was manually dosing 5ml of Two Little Fish 2 part to keep up. I’ve added a a couple frags and 2 hammers (5 heads total).

I am now dropping Alk quite a bit faster. Today I tested at 1pm and it was 8.4 and tested again at 730pm and it was 7.8.

I just bumped up my 2 part dosing to 12.5ml over 24 hours (I have an auto doser now).

2.5ml of Two Little Fish 2 part to keep = 0.1 Alk for my tank.

I also run the lights from 12pm to 11pm with a 1.5hr ramp up and down included in that. I know Alk gets consumed faster during the day.

Does this seem like an odd amount given the take stock?

IMG_7581.jpeg
 
Test the same time each day. My ALK consumption is highest during light period. If I test twice a day I get the same type of results you are, which I see as normal. When I test the same time each day my ALK is little changed from the day before.
 
Thanks. I’ll go back to my 10ml a day and test daily for the next 3 to 4 days and see what the drop is and adjust if needed. Was more curious if the alk consumption seemed normal for the stock on a 33g tank. Probably 25g after rock and sand
 
I don’t think your consumption is that big of a change. I had a tank in the past that had around 8 small frags in it, and I was consuming 1.5 dkh a day. Is there a lot of coralline growth? That could be a factor.
 
I don’t think your consumption is that big of a change. I had a tank in the past that had around 8 small frags in it, and I was consuming 1.5 dkh a day. Is there a lot of coralline growth? That could be a factor.
No coralline currently other than the snails that are covered in it. Rock is Caribsea life rock so if it’s staters on the rock I can’t tell lol.

My assumption is that as the frags settled in and are now encrusting they are absorbing more. Compared to when they first went in and needed to adjust to being cut and recover.
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new