Alk Cal Mag levels are these ok.

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have two reefs and a Frag system the following are my current numbers.

Softies and LPS 110g
Alk 10.65
Cal 333
Mag 1423

LPS SPS 210g
Alk 9.04
Cal 325
Mag 1376

Frag 4 50g for 200g total w/sump
Alk 10.20
Cal 385
Mag 1505

I just reduced 2 part slightly in the two with Alk over 10

Everything is looking ok. My devils hand leathers were looking a little off, but don’t know if just going through a shed faze as they shrank and darkened. Looking a little better now. Did drop some starters, so that might factor in as well.

Other parameters are mostly in line.

Think nitrates a little over 20 and phosphates under .1 in softy tank

LPS SPS tank
N 15
P .03

Frag
N unk 17 couple days ago testing when I get home from picking up daughter
P .07 just tested

N & P tested Hanna HR N ULR P
Alk Cal Mag apex trident.

Thanks for any guidance. I have brought the N and P numbers down from higher over the last several months slowly.

Raised Alk Cal and Mag dosing during this time as was running mid 7’s. Trident stopped getting water in 210 so got higher than planned. Just started the frag tank and used combination of water from both tanks to start along with new, to have nutrients.

Not really wanting to chase numbers, so looking to choose reasonable range and stay there.

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally your calc is low on all of them…450 cal maybe the sweet spot…also with your low nutrients your alk is quite high for them..

Last edited:
OP
OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Personally your calc is low on all of them…450 cal maybe the sweet spot…also with your low nutrients your alk is quite high for them..
I was wondering about that. I have read that Alk and Cal kind of affect each other. Wondering if by reducing dosing quantities of 2 part if it will stabilize into better balanced numbers? Or do I need to dose different levels of the Alk part and the Cal/Mag part?

I believe that they are supposed to be dosed equal parts, but have seen a couple of people that have said ok to vary. Don’t want to make a rookie mistake. Been doing this for years, but only back in it for a year and a half and this is the first time I really went after corals and dosing.

biom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering about that. I have read that Alk and Cal kind of affect each other. Wondering if by reducing dosing quantities of 2 part if it will stabilize into better balanced numbers? Or do I need to dose different levels of the Alk part and the Cal/Mag part?

I believe that they are supposed to be dosed equal parts, but have seen a couple of people that have said ok to vary. Don’t want to make a rookie mistake. Been doing this for years, but only back in it for a year and a half and this is the first time I really went after corals and dosing.
It is ok to dose additionally calcium or magnesium just to correct numbers and then continue dosing equally

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Which two part are you using?

Not all are made for 1:1 dosing. Even some that say so are wrong (Seachem Reef Fusion has this problem).

Assuming it is one that is properly made for 1:1 dosing, then here's my advice:

Assuming you have confidence in your calcium test (I'd try it on soem new salt water), then I'd manually boost the calcium to 420 ppm or so, then watch it over tiem and if it keeps declining while you use the two part in equal doses to maintain alk, then raise the dose of the calcium part.

OP
OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Which two part are you using?

Not all are made for 1:1 dosing. Even some that say so are wrong (Seachem Reef Fusion has this problem).

Assuming it is one that is properly made for 1:1 dosing, then here's my advice:

Assuming you have confidence in your calcium test (I'd try it on soem new salt water), then I'd manually boost the calcium to 420 ppm or so, then watch it over tiem and if it keeps declining while you use the two part in equal doses to maintain alk, then raise the dose of the calcium part.
Yes I use Seachem Fusion 1&2. What product would you recommend for bumping my Calcium, and which 2 part additive would you suggest or that you feel balances the best.

I reduced both parts in the systems showing 11 dkh but it has stayed at that level. Should I be trying to get that down around 9? One is my frag system, and the other is softies and LPS. The larger one has some SPS as well and running 9.

My testing is Neptune Trident, I can do manual with Red Sea test kit, but I know same time of day is important for manual test, so is there a better time to test for comparison? Before lights on, mid-light cycle, just before or after lights go out?

Thanks.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back